Evolving copyright laws give rise to legal challenges that can carry significant commercial implications. The constant stream of copyright cases highlights the struggle for legislation to keep up with the pace of technological advances — as well as the tension between rights holders and industry players.
What we do
We lead content related deals and licensing transactions in all media and technologies.
Litigation & ADR
We act at first instance and on appeal on copyright and related rights disputes in the courts, rate setting tribunals, levy disputes and other ADR procedures.
We advise on complex copyright, moral rights and related rights questions associated with product design, content production and distribution, transactions and disputes.
We advise on copyright and related rights legislation and regulatory reform, including legislative drafting.
We are consistently rated as one of the top copyright practices globally, with market leading copyright experts in key markets acting on the cutting edge cases and new products.
We do complex copyright work for some of the world's most cutting edge technology and content companies. Their trust is our best credential.
We have particular expertise on copyright issues in the digital media,computer software and luxury and fashion sectors.
We have unrivalled expertise on intermediary liability issues, offering perspective from the platform and rightsholder sides of the debate.
We invest in client knowhow, including our Employee Creations Handbook and Global Patent Litigation Handbook.
- Acted in the landmark Australian copyright case NRL v Optus
- Directly involved in the drafting of the EU's copyright & AVMS directives
- We acted In landmark French copyright case in relation to the seminal children's story, Le Petit Prince
- We advised on the global copyright issues and licensing deals for the launch of a major online content store trading in 100+ countries
- We advise one of the world's major UGC platforms on copyright issues
- Acted in world's first rate setting tribunal proceedings for digital music outside the US
- Top Tier for Copyright across APAC and EMEA - Asia IP Copyright Survey & Managing IP
- Luxury Law Firm of the Year 2016 - Luxury Law Awards
- European Copyright Firm of the Year 2015-2016 - Managing IP
- Tier 1 - Media Law International
"Baker McKenzie always provides outstanding service and expertise. While we tend to use them for dispute related issues, we have also utilised their world wide foot print and expertise with regards to a number of media issues in areas like China, the Middle East and the EU." – Client quote, Media Law International
"The 'very responsive and highly commercial' team at Baker McKenzie LLP 'goes out of its way to meet clients' needs in a creative and solution-oriented way'." – Legal 500