Evolving copyright laws give rise to legal challenges that can carry significant commercial implications. The constant stream of copyright cases highlights the struggle for legislation to keep up with the pace of technological advances — as well as the tension between rights holders and industry players.
We help protect and enforce the copyrights of world-famous record labels, film and TV studios and maintain strong relationship with major international film, media and music associations.
What we do
We lead content related deals and licensing transactions in all media and technologies.
Litigation & ADR
We act at first instance and on appeal on copyright and related rights disputes in the courts, rate setting tribunals, levy disputes and other ADR procedures.
We advise on complex copyright, moral rights and related rights questions associated with product design, content production and distribution, transactions and disputes.
We advise on copyright and related rights legislation and regulatory reform, including legislative drafting.
We are consistently rated as one of the top copyright practices globally, with market leading copyright experts in key markets acting on the cutting edge cases and new products.
We do complex copyright work for some of the world's most cutting edge technology and content companies. Their trust is our best credential.
We have particular expertise on copyright issues in the digital media, computer software and luxury and fashion sectors.
We have unrivalled expertise on intermediary liability issues, offering perspective from the platform and rightsholder sides of the debate.
We invest in client knowhow, including our Employee Creations Handbook and Global Patent Litigation Handbook.
- Band 1 IP Firm for 15 consecutive years - Chambers Global
- Most widely ranked firm in both WTR 1000 and IAM Patent 1000
- Global IP Firm of the Year 2022 – Managing IP
- Mexico Trademark Firm of the Year and Switzerland Trademark Prosecution Firm of the Year - Managing IP Awards 2022
- Americas Firm of the Year and European Trademark Firm of the Year - Managing IP Awards 2021
- Acted on major cases including NRL v Optus in Australia and Le Petit Prince in France
- Consistently the most ranked firm in Managing IP IP Stars for copyright and related rights
- We advise one of the world’s major drug platforms on copyright issues
“They are able to tap into their Bakers network to provide a holistic view over issues,” and adding that “they are aware of cutting-edge developments around the world.” – Chambers Global
“They are really good on broadcasting and media regulation in Europe.” – Chambers Europe
“Baker McKenzie is a popular choice for copyright disputes and regulatory matters and frequently acts for household names in the media industry.” – Legal 500 USA
“Baker McKenzie assists with copyright, brand protection, anti-piracy, litigation and IP-rich transactional matters. The firm provides 'great service overall' as it is 'responsive to queries' and gives 'solid and sincere advice.'" – Legal 500 AP