Andrew Stewart leads the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group in Australia and the Firm's Global Digital Media & Copyright Content practice Business Unit. He is also a member of the Firm's Asia Pacific Intellectual Property & Technology Steering Committee. Andrew has significant in-house experience in one of Australia's most successful television networks, giving him an insight into the media environment in Australia and is an advisory board member of the Melbourne University Centre for Media and Communications in the Law.
Andrew acts for a number of major media companies in the free to air, defamation, subscription, IPTV and radio broadcasting industries and advises on a range of intellectual property, publication and regulatory issues. He is acting for the US movie studios and the Motion Picture Association and Netflix in their efforts to address online piracy in Australia. Andrew also has significant experience in media regulation and sports law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acts for the movie content industry in site blocking applications under the Copyright Act in Australia
- Acted on behalf of an industry alliance which intervened in the High Court hearing of the Nine Network vs. ICE TV litigation
- Acting in Copyright Tribunal Proceedings to determine an industry model license for the media monitoring industry for access to online and hardcopy news content
- Acting for Australia’s leading subscription sports TV channel group in successfully defending claims by Telstra of infringement in exclusive new media rights
- Negotiating and documenting news content supply agreements between international news agencies and domestic free to air and subscription television broadcasters
- Negotiating and documenting broadcast rights agreements for internal and national sports
- Drafting production, talent, advertising and sponsorship agreements relating to reality television
- Providing pre-publication, copyright, intellectual property and regulatory advice
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Communications and Media Law Association
- New South Wales~Australia (1991)
- Macquarie University (LL.B.) (1990)
- Macquarie University (Bachelor of Economics) (1990)