Andrew Stewart heads the Australian Media & Content Group and serves as member of the Global Media Steering Committee. A partner since 2007, Andrew is also a member of the Australian Dispute Resolution, Intellectual Property and Technology, Communications & Commercial practice groups. Andrew also has significant in-house experience in one of Australia’s most successful television networks, giving him an insight into the media environment in Australia. He is a committee member of the Communication and Media Lawyers Association of Australia, and is an advisory board member of the Melbourne University Centre for Media and Communications in the Law. He also serves as secretary of the International Institute of Communication, Australian Chapter.
Andrew focuses his practice on advising and acting for media companies in litigious matters, particularly in the areas of defamation, pre-broadcast contempt, intellectual property, information technology and commercial law. He also has significant experience in media regulation and sports law. He is a trusted adviser to leading Australian broadcasting, publishing, sports and entertainment and telecommunications companies. His experience also includes working on major audiovisual copyright protection matters in Australia.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted on behalf of an industry alliance which intervened in the High Court hearing of the Nine Network vs. ICE TV litigation.
- Acting for Australia’s leading subscription sports TV channel group in successfully defending claims by Telstra of infringement in exclusive new media rights.
- Negotiating and documenting news content supply agreements between international news agencies and domestic free to air and subscription television broadcasters.
- Negotiating and documenting broadcast rights agreements for internal and national sports.
- Drafting production, talent, advertising and sponsorship agreements relating to reality television.
- Providing pre-publication, copyright, intellectual property and regulatory advice.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Communications and Media Law Association
- International Institute of Communications - Australia Chapter
- New South Wales~Australia (1991)
- Macquarie University (LL.B.) (1990)
- Macquarie University (Bachelor of Economics) (1990)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.