We are the premier global law firm in North America. Recently recognized as one of the top 10 most innovative law firms in North America by the Financial Times, our 850 lawyers in the US and Canada provide strategic advice to domestic and multinational companies as they grow and manage issues close to home or across the globe.
Over the last three years, we have handled more cross-border deals than any other firm, and our litigation, employment, IP, tax, international trade and other practices have been repeatedly named among the best in North America.
In 2018, Acritas ranked Baker McKenzie the fifth-highest firm for brand recognition in its US Law Firm Brand Index, based on a survey of US in-house counsel who rated firms on factors such as top-level litigation and major M&A work. We have also been the leading global firm in Canada for more than 50 years, advising clients on federal, provincial, and local laws with an unparalleled international perspective.
Local expertise, global approach
Our North America offices demonstrate a winning combination of local experience and international experience that provides clients with the legal insight and practical business advice they need to overcome challenges and achieve their business objectives. As market leaders in cross-border M&A, litigation, employment, intellectual property, tax and international trade, we help clients succeed in an increasingly complex global market.
We offer lawyers and professional staff world-class learning and development opportunities across our eight offices in the North America. We’re always looking for talented people who are interested in the chance to work closely with colleagues all over the world.
We’re also dedicated to personal and professional growth, a commitment demonstrated by our robust lateral hiring, law student hiring initiatives, Associate Training and International Clerkship Programs.
Our Development Framework shapes the way we recruit, select, develop, manage and promote our people. It offers prospective talent a reliable roadmap to success and details the support we provide to make sure lawyers and professional staff achieve their career goals.
Our Summer Associate Program offers law students an introduction to the Firm by providing the opportunity to work on actual cases, receive professional training and attend Firm networking events.
We are committed to recruiting qualified professional staff, lateral associates and partners. View our North America job opportunities.
We have dedicated North America directors of pro bono and community service and diversity and inclusion who coordinate our efforts to deliver first-class legal services to the underserved and foster an inclusive environment where all individuals can succeed professionally. Working from within Canada and the US, our North America professionals participate in a variety of CSR initiatives, including:
- Teaming with in-house counsel at Accenture to advise low-income seniors on powers of attorney and living wills (Chicago office)
- Helping the Public International Law & Policy Group provide legal and policy advice on ways to combat maritime piracy (Toronto, Miami and New York offices)
- Teaming with in-house counsel at Estée Lauder to write an amicus brief on behalf of 11 national children’s law organizations that helped strike down Florida’s ban on gay adoption. (Miami, New York, Houston and Chicago offices)
- Developing the North America Women’s Initiative to create policies and programs that help women lawyers advance to leadership roles within the Firm (All NA offices)
- Supporting A Call to Action Canada, an organization focused on fostering greater diversity within the legal profession (Toronto office)