Bienvenido Marquez III is a partner and head of Quisumbing Torres' Intellectual Property Practice Group and head of the Information Technology & Communications Industry Group. He is also a member of Baker McKenzie's Asia Pacific Intellectual Property Steering Committee, leading the anti-counterfeiting taskforce. He is experienced in handling IP enforcement litigation, trademark and patent prosecution and maintenance, copyright, data privacy, information security, IT, telecommunications, e-commerce, electronic transactions, cyber security and cybercrime matters.
Mr. Marquez focuses his practice on trademark and patent portfolio management and in the enforcement and litigation of IP rights before courts and administrative agencies. He manages the anti-piracy / anti-counterfeiting program for major clients covering a wide range of industries and products: pharmaceuticals, food, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, telecommunications, apparel, footwear, cable and satellite television, computer software, hardware and peripherals, household and consumer products, toys and the entertainment industry. He also advises on information technology, media and telecommunications matters, including data privacy and cybercrime law compliance.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully represent a multinational technology company that develops computer software in a landmark copyright infringement case against the owners of a retail store that was selling CDs containing unauthorized copies of the client's software.
- Develop a strategy and successfully carry out a raid for a UK-based cigarette manufacturing company to address counterfeits of one of its best-selling products bearing a particular brand that did not have trademark registrations in the Philippines.
- Represent a leading global pharmaceutical company in a patent infringement case against a local generic pharmaceutical drug company which had been commercially distributing products that infringe on the client’s patent.
- Represent a global leading equipment manufacturer for the construction, oil & gas and mining industries against a notorious infringer in a trademark cancellation case and several criminal cases (mainly unfair competition in nature).
- Conducted an audit of several BPO service providers of a top telecommunications service provider in the United States for compliance with data privacy laws, both of the United States and the Philippines. Assist with the investigation and possible prosecution of violations of the Data Privacy Act and the Cybercrime Prevention Act.
- Leading Individual in Intellectual Property, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2014 - 2016
- Leading Individual in Intellectual Property, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2014 - 2016
- Leading Trademark Professional, World Trademark Review, 2016
- Recommended, Intellectual Property in the Philippines, IAM Patent 1000, 2016
- IP Star for Patents and Trademarks, Managing IP, 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Chairman, East Asia & the Pacific Anti-Counterfeiting Sub-Committee (2016- 2017 Term)
- Licensing Executives Society (LES) Philippines - Co-Chair, Electronics, IT and Telecommunications (EITT)
- Intellectual Property Coalition - Auditor, Board of Trustees and Executive Committee Member
- Intellectual Property Association of the Philippines
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APAA)
- Philippines (1997)
- Ateneo de Manila University (JD) (1996)
- Ateneo de Manila University (BS Legal Management) (1990)