The Global Law Firm For Africa
With more than 30 years of experience in the African market, we leverage our Firm's global footprint to provide first-class legal and commercial advice to foreign multinational investors in Africa, as well as some of Africa’s largest domestic companies.
With regional hubs in Cairo, Casablanca and Johannesburg, we offer a presence in Africa that few international law firms can match. Our lawyers advise clients in key growth industry sectors including finance, energy, mining & infrastructure, telecommunications, FMCG and healthcare. We act as transactional and international counsel for clients engaged in major projects, collaborating with colleagues across our global network to provide guidance on inbound and outbound investments.
We have over 200 lawyers that work on Africa matters and we offer a combination of local knowledge and international perspective to help clients minimise risk and focus on business opportunities. Working with our African Relationship Firms to deliver a comprehensive service, we provide clients with the insight they need to overcome their legal, regulatory and market challenges.
In 2016 we were named “the leading international firm for high value work across Africa” by Acritas. In 2017, we won “International Law Firm of the Year” at the African Legal Awards, and also retained our title as “Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources Team of the Year" for our work on BHP Billiton's first-of-its-kind Forests Bond. Our commitment to CSR in Africa was also recognised as we scooped the “CSR, Diversity, Transformation and Economic Empowerment Award”.
We are market leaders in energy and infrastructure projects and finance matters in Africa, working on some of the most significant projects across the continent. Our achievements include advising Morocco's state-owned power utility on procuring and developing the country's 850 MW wind farm public-private partnership programme, acting for Angola state-owned oil company Sonangol on its USD 7 billion development of a major oil refinery, and advising numerous lenders on Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme projects in South Africa. We were ranked third for pan-African M&A transactions by volume by Thomson Reuters in 2016. Our Corporate/M&A group advise clients on major cross-border deals while our litigation, compliance, investigations and tax teams leverage their strong working relationships with regulators and other government officials to protect clients' interests.
No matter the business or legal issue, we provide clients with the guidance and support they need to overcome the challenges of doing business in Africa and achieve their Africa-focused strategies, using our expertise across industry sectors and legal systems to help them pursue opportunities, achieve growth and manage risk in their business.
- International Law Firm of the Year – African Legal Awards 2017 and 2015
- Environmental, Energy and Infrastructure Team of the Year – African Legal Awards 2017 and 2016
- Leading International Firm for High Value Work across Africa – Sharplegal Global Elite 2016 Africa
- Deal of the Year Award for the Assiut and West Damietta power conversion loan facility – Euromoney Trade Finance Journal 2016
- #1 for Emerging Markets M&A involvement, covering MENA, South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa – Thomson Reuters 2016
- Banking, Finance & Restructuring Team of the Year – African Legal Awards 2015
- CSR Award – African Legal Awards 2015
- Best Renewables Deal – EMEA Finance’s Project Awards 2015
- Solar Deal of the Year 2015 – Project Finance International