Mr. Okada focuses his practice on intellectual property law and information technology and communications matters. He also has significant experience advising clients on data protection, telecommunication law, and antitrust law matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented foreign companies in IP-related cases to protect their rights to intellectual property, including characters, brands and software.
- Advised on and prepared documents for license agreements or franchise agreements relating to intellectual properties rights.
- Advised on and prepared documents for agreements involving information technology and communications matters.
- Represented foreign companies in registration for plant variety rights at the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries of Japan.
- Represented foreign companies before Japanese courts in infringement and invalidation cases.
- Represented foreign companies in customs seizures of counterfeit products.
- Advised on intellectual property financing and represented financing companies in registration procedures thereof.
- Provided support in an application for a leniency program for administrative fines under the Japanese Antitrust Act.
- Advised on issues relating to corporate governance.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property - Member
- New York~United States (2015)
- Japan (2008)
- University of Washington (LL.M. Intellectual Property Law and Policy Graduate Program) (2014)
- Kobe University (J.D.) (2007)
Co-author, "Patent file - Amendments to Japan's IP Guidelines," Intellectual Property Magazine, Informa UK Limited, October 2015
Co-author, "Legal and tax practices on conducting business in Asia - from business start-up to expansion and withdrawal," Chuokeizai-sha, August 2011, Language: Japanese
Co-author, "Open Innovation," Asia IP, Apex Asia Media Limited, June/July 2011