Juan Pablo Concha joined Baker McKenzie Colombia in 1994 and was named partner in 2009. Although he can practice only in Colombia, he also provides advisory services in international intellectual property rights enforcement to multinational and local companies.
Mr. Concha’s practice is focused on intellectual property enforcement through administrative, civil or criminal litigation, and also covers unfair competition. He also has wide-ranging experience in handling and coordinating trademark and patent portfolios in Colombia as well as in Latin America.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented perfume brand owners against a big importer of counterfeit perfumes in Colombia.
- Advised a big technological company in the enforcement of its IP rights in the Latin American region (Colombia, Brazil, Mexico, Peru and Argentina).
- Acted for major technology companies in training sessions with Customs in order to update authorities on Border Measures.
- Obtained recognition of a various famous trademarks obtained favorable and expedite decision in preliminary injunction on cases involving patent infringement as notoriously well-known trademarks in Colombia.
- Acted in the name of a big multinational entertainment company in the apprehension of counterfeit products in the port of Buenaventura.
- Seized an important number of luxury products with different trademarks jointly with the Attorney General’s Office.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- AMCHAM (Cámara Colombo-Americana) - Director, Committee of Intellectual Property
- International Trademark Association (INTA) and Inter-American Association of Industrial Property (ASIPI) - Member
- International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition - Member
- Board of Directors Colombian Intellectual Property Association - Member
- IPTech Latam Chair
- Colombia (1996)
- Universidad de los Andes (Master's Degree Commercial Law) (1996)
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Faculty of Law (1994)
- University of Los Andes (Graduate Studies)
Author, "The reality of Intellectual Property in Colombia," Portafolio, February 2012
Author, "Developments on Trade Secrets in Colombia," Anda –Advertisers Magazine, #38)
Author, "Limitations to the use of trademarks," specialized publication published by the Colombo-American Chamber of Commerce, November 2009
Speaker, "Know at home a stranger abroad: building your brand while protecting it!" US Commercial Services, United States of America, Department of Commerce, May 2014