Mr. Vela is one of Mexico's most active privacy, data protection and information security lawyers. He has implemented privacy management compliance programs for over 100 companies, including several Fortune 500 companies. He advises on corporate and commercial matters where privacy is an issue, including e-discovery, FCPA investigations, e-commerce, direct marketing, privacy in the workplace, litigation and M2M communications.
Mr. Vela is proficient in key areas of IT/C law: telecom regulation/licensing; technology contracts and procurement; design, implementation and monetization of e-commerce portals; marketing, consumer protection, regulatory matters and copyright within the digital arena. With a strong multidisciplinary consultancy background, he helps clients identify and address corporate, commercial, compliance, tax, regulatory, strategy, expansion and policy issues that arise in different phases of IT/C projects. He represents some of the most innovative IT and consumer internet industry players, as well as MVNO operators and telecom resellers.
Representative Legal Matters
- Designed and implemented privacy compliance programs for several leading pharmaceutical companies.
- Regularly advises high tech, health and media companies in connection with privacy impact assessments and site operator liability issues before a major technology product or service is released.
- Advised a major Spanish technology fund in the development of its seed funding program for tech startups.
- Counseled major traditional retailers and price club warehouses in launching their e-commerce stores in Mexico.
- Represented a major content retailer in connection with potential changes to e-books regulation.
- Assisted a major e-marketplace and classifieds company in structuring its operations in Mexico.
- Represented the first Mexican MVNO telecom reseller in establishing operations in Mexico.
- Advised car manufacturers on licensing, regulatory, commercial, consumer protection and privacy issues regarding infotainment and other software parametrization services.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Mexican Internet Association (AMIPCI) - Member
- International Association of Privacy Professionals - Member
- International Association of Outsourcing Professionals - Co-chair
- Mexico (2002)
- Norwegian Research Center for Computers and Law, University of Oslo (Master of Laws LL.M. in Information and Communication Technology Law on full scholarship granted by the Research Council of Norway and the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs) (2006)
- Universidad Panamericana (Bachelor of Laws with honors) (2002)