Andrew Sim is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Intellectual Property group in Hong Kong and China. His practice focuses primarily on intellectual property law in the People’s Republic of China. He has contributed articles to leading legal publications such as World Trademark Review and The Singapore Law Gazette. Mr. Sim is a member of the Singapore Academy of Law and the Law Society of Hong Kong.
Mr. Sim regularly assists clients in strategizing their intellectual property rights and directing anti-counterfeiting operations in the areas of trademarks, copyright, trade names, passing off, unfair competition, designs, labeling laws, consumer, media and advertising laws. Mr. Sim’s practice also includes domain name, Internet and technology laws. Mr. Sim is admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong. He is a qualified New York attorney-at-law, admitted as an advocate and solicitor in Singapore and a solicitor in England and Wales, and is a barrister-at-law in the UK. He is also a registered patent agent in Singapore.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted Starbucks Corporation in obtaining judicial well-known recognition of their trademarks in Shanghai, PRC, and well-known recognition of their trademark in the PRC Trademark Office.
- Assisted Harley-Davidson in obtaining IP protection of their unregistered trademark in a civil lawsuit before Beijing Intermediate People’s Court and Beijing Higher People’s Court.
- Assisted Hasbro in securing their first successful IP infringement lawsuit in the PRC in Guangzhou.
- Assisted a leading mobile phone manufacturer in filing a petition with the Supreme People’s Court for a retrial.
- Assisted a leading fashion group in obtaining well-known trademark recognition in the PRC Trademark Review & Adjudication Board.
- Advised a leading fashion group and assisting in securing their first successful trademark infringement lawsuit in relation to their 3-D bottle mark in Shandong province.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Attorney
- Law Society of Singapore - Advocate & Solicitor
- Lincoln's Inn - Barrister
- Patent Register, Singapore - Patent Agent
- Law Society of England & Wales - Solicitor
- Hong Kong (2006)
- England & Wales (non-practicing)~United Kingdom (2001)
- New York~United States (2000)
- Singapore (1998)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M. Trade Regulation) (1995)
- University of Westminster (Bar Exam) (1994)
- University of Leicester (LL.B. Honors) (1993)
- Hong Kong
Co-author (with Courtney Macintosh), "IP Challenges for Food and Beverage in China," Bloomberg BNA, 14 November 2016
Quoted in "Laying down the law," Food Service Consultant, 1 October 2016
Co-author (with Shirley Zhao), "Seven Steps to Fight Food & Beverage Counterfeits in China," Bloomberg BNA, 1 August 2016
Co-author (with Yilan Yang), "Navigating IP Challenges Through the Chinese Belly," Bloomberg BNA, 23 March 2016
Author, "Unregistered Chinese character marks recognized," World Trademark Review, June-July 2009