Julián David Ruiz Rondan is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in Baker McKenzie Bogota. He is recognized for his expertise in copyright and entertainment law. He is currently president of the Colombian Copyright Center (CECOLDA) and has been professor of the CopyrightX course of Harvard University, chapter Colombia.
Julián has more than eight years of experience and has advised several national, international and multinational companies in the audiovisual, music, technology, advertising and entertainment industries. He has likewise provided counsel to several artists, producers and publishers.
His experience also includes managing trademark portfolios and IP enforcement.
Julian's main practice is focused on copyright and entertainment law, assisting clients with drafting, negotiating, structuring and enforcing different agreements related to IP rights, as well as in the clearance of audiovisual productions and issues with collective management organizations.
Julián also advises on trademark prosecution, enforcement and unfair competition. He has participated in successful cases on enforcement through cease and desist letters, civil actions and contentious actions.
- Ranked in Best Lawyers, Intellectual Property, 2021 and 2022
- Associate to Watch, Intellectual Property - Chambers & Partners, 2020
- Associate to Watch, Copyright - Chambers & Partners, 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Centro Colombiano del Derecho de Autor (CECOLDA) - President
- Association Littéraire et Artistique Internationale (ALAI) - Member
- Colombia (2014)
- Universidad de los Andes (in Commercial Law) (2016)
- Universidad de La Sabana (J.D.) (2014)
- Co-author of book "Derecho de la Moda en Iberoamérica (Fashion Law)," chapter Colombia, Ed. Aranzadi, 1st edition (November 23, 2021)
- Author, "Claves legales en campañas publicitarias y de mercadeo," Revista P&M, June 2021
- Author, "La importancia del clearance en las producciones audiovisuales," Revista P&M, June 2021
- Author, "Contratos de software y sus particularidades," Asuntos Legales, March 2021
- Author, "¿Los pagos por derechos de imagen y publicidad son salario?" Asuntos Legales, September 2017