Julián David Ruiz Rondan is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in Baker McKenzie Bogota. He is recognized for his expertise in copyright and entertainment law. He is currently president of the Colombian Copyright Center (CECOLDA) and has been professor of the CopyrightX course of Harvard University, chapter Colombia. Julián has more than seven years of experience and has advised several national, international and multinational companies in the audiovisual, music, technology, advertising and entertainment industries. He has likewise provided counsel to several artists, producers and publishers. His experience also includes managing trademark portfolios and IP enforcement.
Julian's main practice is focused on copyright and entertainment law, assisting clients with drafting, negotiating, structuring and enforcing different agreements related to IP rights, as well as in the clearance of audiovisual productions and issues with collective management organizations. Julián also advises on trademark prosecution, enforcement and unfair competition. He has participated in successful cases on enforcement through cease and desist letters, civil actions and contentious actions.
- Associate to Watch, Intellectual Property - Chambers & Partners, 2020
- Associate to Watch, Copyright - Chambers & Partners, 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- President, Centro Colombiano del Derecho de Autor (CECOLDA)
- Member, Association Littéraire et Artistique Internationale (ALAI)
- Colombia (2014)
- Universidad de los Andes, Colombia (Specialization Degree in Commercial Law) (2016)
- Universidad de La Sabana (Law) (2014)
- Author, "¿Los pagos por derechos de imagen y publicidad son salario?", Asuntos Legales, September 2017
- Author, "Right of Publicity in Colombia: Its relationship with freedom of speech and Intellectual Property rights and its shortcomings - A parallel to the U.S. Doctrine", Terralex, June 2017
- Author, "Se puede usar imágenes de personas en campañas publicitarias", Asuntos Legales, April 2017
- Corresponding author, "Protection of traditional knowledge in Ethnic Groups from Colombia", Revista Ciencias Agropecuarias, Vol. 2, 2016
- Author, "Cómo hacer publicidad en los Olímpicos Río 2016", Asuntos Legales, July 2016