Ren Jun Lim is a principal with Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow. He represents local and international clients in both contentious and non-contentious intellectual property matters. He also advises on a full range of healthcare, as well as consumer goods-related legal and regulatory issues.
Ren Jun co-leads Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow's Healthcare as well as Consumer Goods & Retail industry groups. He sits on the Law Society of Singapore IP Committee and on the Executive Committee of the Association of Information Security Professionals. He is also a member of the Vaccines Working Group, Singapore Association of Pharmaceutical Industries, a member of the International Trademark Association, as well as a member of the Regulatory Affairs Professionals Association.
Ren Jun is ranked in the Silver tier for Individuals: Enforcement and Litigation and Individuals: Prosecution and Strategy, and a recommended lawyer for Individuals: Transactions by WTR 1000, 2020. He is also listed in Asia IP's Best 50 IP Expert, 2020, recognised as a Rising Star by Managing IP: IP Stars, 2019 and one of Singapore's 70 most influential lawyers aged 40 and under by Singapore Business Review, 2016. Ren Jun was acknowledged by WTR 1000 as a "trademark connoisseur who boasts supplementary knowledge of regulatory issues in the consumer products industry." He was also commended by clients for being "very responsive to enquiries and with a keen eye for detail, he is extremely hands-on. His meticulous and in-depth approach to strategising is key to the excellent outcomes we enjoy."
Ren Jun represents local and international intellectual property-intensive clients in contentious and non-contentious matters. These matters include civil and criminal litigation for all forms of intellectual property infringement; border enforcement; local and international filing and prosecution strategies; domain name disputes; opposition and revocation actions; general litigation; and anti-corruption issues.
In addition, Ren Jun plans and executes anti-counterfeiting operations for various clients in Singapore and around the Asia Pacific region.
Ren Jun also advises on various intellectual property-related and non-intellectual property-related commercial issues arising from mergers and acquisitions; restructuring; licensing; franchising; data protection; cybersecurity; due diligence; audits; and valuation.
He also assists clients on a wide spectrum of regulatory issues affecting the consumer goods industry such as licensing; advertising; trade libel; consumer protection; and product liability/recall.
In addition, Ren Jun keenly advises on a full range of issues relating to the healthcare industry. These include regulatory compliance in respect of drugs, medical devices, health supplements, food products and cosmetics; clinical trials; product liability/recall issues; data exclusivity; patent linkage; competition; and anti-corruption issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully acted for Paramount Pictures, Columbia Pictures Industries, Disney Enterprises, Twentieth Century Fox Film, Universal City Studios Production and Warner Bros Entertainment in the Singapore High Court against 53 flagrantly infringing online locations. This is a landmark case in which a dynamic injunction was granted to block new circumventive means of accessing the infringing sites without having to return to the courts.
- Successfully represented Abbott Laboratories in a trade mark opposition action against Nestle in the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore, arguing that Nestle’s “HM-O” application is descriptive of human milk oligosaccharides. Successfully resisted Nestle's appeal in the Singapore High Court.
- Successfully acted for Clinique Laboratories LLC in a trade mark infringement and passing-off action in the Singapore High Court, and the subsequent appeal in the Singapore Court of Appeal. This was the first occasion where the Singapore courts ruled a trade mark to be well known to the public at large.
- Acted for Seiko Holdings Corporation in a trade mark opposition action in the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore. This was the first occasion where the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore declared a trade mark to be well known to the public at large.
- Successfully acted for IMS Health in a breach of confidence action against three ex-employees and a rival company. Successfully obtained an interlocutory injunction from the Singapore High Court to restrain the defendants from using the misappropriated confidential information.
- Successfully executed anti-counterfeiting and border enforcement programs for various clients, including leading fashion and fragrance brands, global media and entertainment conglomerates, leading medical device companies, and multinational toy and board game companies.
- Led cross-border teams throughout the Asia Pacific in advising on various healthcare-related regulatory, corporate, tax and IP issues arising from Ortho Clinical Diagnostics' USD 4.15 billion divestiture from Johnson & Johnson.
- Advised a Singapore government-owned infrastructure and urban development consultancy on restructuring of IP assets in its group companies and capitalising on available tax benefits under Singapore's IP Hub Masterplan.
- Advised Kirin Holdings Company Limited (Kirin) on IP due diligence and licensing issues arising from OUE Baytown Pte Ltd's USD 10.5 billion voluntary takeover of Fraser and Neave Ltd (F&N), and Kirin's USD 1.62 billion purchase of F&N's food and beverage business.
- Advising a leading dairy cooperative on queries from the Competition Commission of Singapore, and on compliance risks arising from its sponsorship arrangements with hospitals.
- Advised on cross-border product liability and recall issues for various clients, including medical devices manufacturers (for supply of unregistered medical devices); toy manufacturers (for defective toy products that contained excessive phthalate); electronic product manufacturers (for potentially defective products); as well as food and beverage, confectionery, spirits producers (for defective/wrongly labelled products).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Singapore - Member
- Singapore Academy of Law - Member
- Executive Committee, Association of Information Security Professionals - Honorary Legal Advisor
- Vaccines Working Group, Singapore Association of Pharmaceutical Industries - Member
- International Trademark Association - Member
- Regulatory Affairs Professionals Association - Member
- Singapore (2009)
- National University of Singapore (2008)
- Hong Kong