Andy Leck is the managing principal of Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow. Andy is recognised by the world’s leading industry and legal publications as a leader in his field. Asian Legal Business notes that he "always gives good, quick advice, [is] client-focused and has strong technical knowledge for his areas of practice." Alongside his current role as managing principal, Andy has held several leadership positions in the Firm and externally as a leading IP practitioner.
Andy is an appointed member of the Singapore Copyright Tribunal and is also a mediator with the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center. He previously served on the International Trademark Association’s Board of Directors and was a member of the Executive Committee.
Andy has more than 20 years of experience in contentious and non-contentious intellectual property matters, litigation and arbitration matters. Andy also advises on the commercial exploitation of IP rights, particularly in the technology, franchise, pharmaceutical and media industries. In the area of corporate compliance, his practice includes defence against government/regulatory investigations and white collar criminal matters. He regularly represents Fortune 500 corporations in the pharmaceutical and life sciences, technology, and energy industries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a client in a SIAC arbitration in Singapore involving a breach/termination under a Share Purchase Agreement and related contracts between a NASDAQ listed technology company and manufacturing companies from Singapore and the PRC.
- Represented a leading business software designer in anti-counterfeiting actions relating to counterfeit software disseminated through the Internet in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong SAR and Singapore.
- Represented a multinational technology company in an arbitration under ICC Rules against its Singapore customer over an agreement to supply technology for use by a middle-east sovereign. The client also sought injunctions in Singapore Court, and an order that the dispute be referred to arbitration.
- Defending a patent infringement claim in relation to the use of various technologies in a military mobile medical vehicle.
- Representing a multi-national technology company in a dispute with its Singapore customer over, among other things, certain intellectual property held in escrow. The client sought Anton Piller injunctions and an order that the dispute be referred to arbitration. Astrata (Singapore) Pte Ltd v. Tridex Technologies Pte Ltd and another and other matters  SGHC 250 and Astrata (Singapore) Pte Ltd v. Portcullis Escrow Pte Ltd and another and other matters  SGCA 20.
- Acted as counsel in an UNCITRAL arbitration in Singapore and Hong Kong in a technology dispute arising from a co-production agreement to build airport passenger boarding bridges between the US licensor and PRC manufacturer.
- Represented one of the world’s leading cosmetic brands in a trade mark infringement and passing off action against a Singapore medical clinic for the use of its well known trade mark. Clinique Laboratories, LLC v. Clinique Suisse Pte Ltd & Healthy Glow Pte Ltd  SGHC 189.
- Advised a Japanese multinational on all applicable legal requirements in relation to an incident of corruption involving Singapore and Cambodia. This involves carrying out employee interviews and forensic investigation on 24 hours notice and advising on both local laws and the application of US and UK extraterritorial laws, reviewing employee and commercial contracts and suggesting remediation steps.
- Advising a leading IT company investigating into the embezzlement of monies and cheque fraud by a senior employee.
- Conducting an Asia-wide compliance review and internal investigation for a multinational in respect of issues arising from both the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the local laws of various Asian jurisdictions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Singapore Copyright Tribunal
- International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APPA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Honourable Society of Gray's Inn
- Hong Kong (2000)
- Singapore (1993)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1992)
- University of Bristol (1990)
- Hong Kong