Andy Leck is the head of the Intellectual Property (IP) Practice Group and a member of the Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Singapore. He is a core member of Baker McKenzie's regional IP practice and leads the Myanmar IP Steering Committee.
Andy is recognised by reputable global industry and legal publications as a leader in his field. He was named on The A-List: Singapore's Top 100 lawyers by Asia Business Law Journal 2018. In addition, Chambers Asia Pacific notes that Andy is "a well-known IP practitioner who is highlighted for his record of handling major trade mark litigation, as well as commercial exploitation of IP rights in the media and technology sectors. He's been in the industry for a long time and has always been held in high regard. He is known to be very fair and is someone you would like to be in the trenches with you during negotiations." Furthermore, Asian Legal Business acknowledges Andy as a leading practitioner in his field and notes that he “always gives good, quick advice, [is] client-focused and has strong technical knowledge for his areas of practice.”
Andy is an appointed member of the Singapore Copyright Tribunal and is also a mediator with the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center. He has also been appointed as a Notary Public & Commissioner for Oaths in Singapore. He previously served on the International Trademark Association’s Board of Directors and was a member of the executive committee.
Andy has more than 20 years of experience handling contentious and non-contentious matters in the areas of IP, corporate litigation and arbitration matters. He regularly represents Fortune 500 corporations in the pharmaceutical and life sciences, consumer goods and retail, technology, and energy industries.
Andy’s IP experience covers all aspects of commercial and advisory work, anti-piracy, civil and criminal enforcement, portfolio management, and IP disputes. He has acted for domestic and international clients, including representing some of the owners of the world’s best known trade marks, brand names and technologies – assisting them in all areas of IP portfolio management. He also advises on the commercial exploitation of IP rights, particularly in the technology, franchise, pharmaceutical and media industries.
In the area of disputes, Andy has an active litigation and international arbitration practice, with a focus on complex, cross-border disputes across a wide range of sectors. He regularly appears before the Singapore High Court and in international arbitrations under the major institutional rules, including ICC, SIAC and UNCITRAL.
In the area of corporate compliance, his practice includes defense against government/regulatory investigations and white-collar criminal matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising many of the world’s leading multinational companies on their various contentious and non-contentious IP needs and requirements. This includes advising an American multinational conglomerate operating in the fields of healthcare, worker safety and consumer goods on its regional trade mark portfolio management and enforcement matters across all of Southeast Asia.
- Representing a consortium of production companies from the Motion Pictures Association of America in successfully obtaining dynamic injunctions/site-blocking orders against the Singapore network service providers to disable access to Flagrantly Infringing Online Locations. This was a landmark decision where the court ordered network service providers to block access to a list of URLs, IP addresses and domain names which were being used to facilitate access to the servers hosting unauthorised movies. This decision marked the first time that site-blocking orders and dynamic injunctions in Singapore were granted.
- Representing Fox Network Group, Singapore Telecommunications Ltd, Starhub Ltd and the Football Association Premier League (on a Criminal Private Summons) in successfully prosecuting in the Singapore State Courts, vendors of set-top boxes which allowed streaming of unauthorised movie content.
- Representing a leading business software designer in organising and coordinating anti-counterfeiting actions relating to counterfeit software disseminated through the Internet in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong SAR and Singapore.
- Representing a multinational technology company in an ICC arbitration against its Singapore customer over an agreement to supply military technology for use by a middle-east sovereign.
- Successfully defending the Singapore Ministry of Defence in a Singapore High Court patent infringement claim over the use of technologies featured in the government’s military mobile medical vehicle. The claimant’s patent was successfully revoked in the counterclaim.
- Representing a multinational technology company in a dispute with its Singapore customer over, among other things, IP held in escrow. The client sought Anton Piller injunctions and an order that the dispute be referred to arbitration. Astrata (Singapore) Pte Ltd v. Tridex Technologies Pte Ltd and another  SGHC 250 and Astrata (Singapore) Pte Ltd v. Portcullis Escrow Pte Ltd and another  SGCA 20.
- Acted as counsel in an UNCITRAL arbitration in Singapore and Hong Kong in a technology and patent dispute arising from a co-production agreement to build airport passenger boarding bridges between the US licensor and PRC licensee/manufacturer.
- Representing one of the world’s leading cosmetic brands in a trade mark infringement and passing off action against a Singapore medical clinic for the use of its well-known trade mark. Clinique Laboratories, LLC v. Clinique Suisse Pte Ltd & Healthy Glow Pte Ltd  SGHC 189. This was Singapore’s first reported decision on the infringement of a well-known trade mark.
- Representing one of the world’s leading industrial automotive companies in a trade mark infringement and passing off action against a supplier of heavy construction equipment and its sole proprietor for the infringement of various CAT trade marks and vehicular model numbers  SGHC 58.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Notary Public & Commissioner for Oaths in Singapore
- Singapore Copyright Tribunal
- International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APPA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Honourable Society of Gray's Inn
- Hong Kong (2000)
- Singapore (1993)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1992)
- University of Bristol (1990)
- Hong Kong