Mr. Tran Manh Hung is the Director and Managing Partner of BMVN International LLC, a licensed law firm and IP agent, and is a member of Baker McKenzie.
Mr. Tran has represented various multinational and Vietnamese companies in different transactions and projects in a number of different industries including infrastructure, transportation, telecommunications, port, retail, distribution, and intellectual property. He also assisted internationally famous brands to establish their investment projects in Vietnam.
Mr. Tran has been ranked as the most Strongly Recommended IP Lawyer by Global3000, an IP Star by Managing IP, and has been featured as the leading lawyer by Vietnam Central Television. The Vietnam Lawyers' Federation, the Ministry of Justice and Legal Magazine awarded him the "Lawyer of the Year (2009)". He has also been ranked as the leading lawyer by Chambers Asia 2010. He was the Chairman of the Legal Committee of Hanoi American Chamber of Commerce in 2012. He teaches laws at the Hanoi Law University, Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam, Hanoi Foreign Trade University and the MBA Program for CFVG.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisting three US movie companies with various motion picture projects in Vietnam including copyright law issues, location scouting and obtaining filming permits, data privacy, use of juvenile actors and actresses, among others.
- Assisting a Dutch media company with a series of reality shows in Vietnam including drafting talent management contracts, legal briefings for contestants and other IP law issues).
- Advising one of the largest social media platforms on music licensing in Vietnam.
- Advising various media and movie production companies to set up representative offices and subsidiaries in Vietnam.
- Advising famous fashion brand owners on trademark infringement cases.
- Representing clients in F&B, cosmetics, fashion, luxury, electronic, high technology and consumer product industries in trademark protection and filing strategies, portfolio audits, anti-counterfeiting and anti-piracy.
- Managing the international trade mark portfolios of major Japanese, Korean, American and British companies in various industries including the automotive, electronics and fashion industries.
- Advising and representing more than 100 brand owners in franchising projects in Vietnam.
- IP Star Award, Managing Intellectual Property 2016-2018
- WIPR Leader in Patents and Trademarks, World Intellectual Property Review 2017-2018
- Leading Trademark Lawyer, World Trademark Review 2016
- Received Gold ranking, World Trademark Review 2016
- Leading Individual, World Trademark Review 1000, 2015
- Vietnam IP Star, Managing Intellectual Property 2014
- Passionately Client Driven Award, Annual Global IP Best Practice Awards 2014
- Leading Lawyer in Intellectual Property for Vietnam, Chambers Asia, 2008 - 2014
- Leading Individual in Intellectual Property for Vietnam, Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2008 - 2014
- Nominated as Leading IP Lawyer,"People of Our Time" by Vietnam National Television
- Lawyer of the Year Award, Vietnam Lawyers' Federation, Ministry of Justice and Legal Magazine, 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hanoi Bar Association (Vietnam) - Member
- Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI) - Arbitrator of the Vietnam International Arbitration Centre
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Member of the Anti-Counterfeiting Sub-Committee
- American Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam (Hanoi Chapter) - Former Chairman of the Legal Committee
- Vietnam (2001)
- Kyushu University, Japan (LL.M. International Economic and Business Law) (2000)
- Hanoi University of Law, Vietnam (LL.B.) (1995)
- Hong Kong
Author, "What 'Commercial Scale' Means In IP Trade Agreements," Law360, July 2018
Author, "Put to one side - One significant aspect of the deal that may supersede the TPP is the removal of provisions relating to intellectual property," Vietnam Economic Times, January 2018
Author, IP Law Consultation and Practice Chapter, Lawyers Manual/Handbook - Nha Xuat Ban Chinh Tri Quoc Gia Su That, December 2017
Co-author, "Vietnam - Up against in the system," World Trademark Review, November 2017
Author, "New conditions for IP-related crimes in Vietnam," Managing Intellectual Property, August 2017