Manh Hung Tran leads the Intellectual Property Practice Group of Baker McKenzie's Vietnam offices. He regularly contributes articles on hot legal issues to reputable publications. He is also a respected presenter in the areas of intellectual property, franchising, data privacy and entertainment laws. In addition, he has lectured at the Hanoi Law University, Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam, Foreign Trade University, an international MBA Program (CFVG), and the Professional Training School of the Ministry of Industry and Trade. He used to serve as the Chairman of the Legal Committee of Hanoi American Chamber of Commerce.
Representative Legal Matters
- Handling successful cases in trademark infringements, oppositions and cancellations for a wide range of brand owners such as Lacoste, Volvo, SCA Hygiene Products AB, Benjamin Holding, Seiko, Hallmark, Triumph International, etc.
- Acting for Hugo Boss, P&G in one of the very first domain name cases before the World Intellectual Property Organization.
- Handling large trademark portfolios management for clients in the healthcare, consumer goods, and media industries.
- Advising and assisting in trademark acquisition in an M&A deal for APBL, franchising projects including the first convenient store chain in Vietnam for Circle K Store, Inc., and other automobile and high-tech licensing structures in Vietnam.
- Advised, prepared and filed 27 patent applications for a Russian nuclear energy company in Vietnam.
- Acting for a Japanese character goods manufacturer in IP licensing and franchising project with BRG Group, which relates to building a theme park in Hanoi under its license.
- Advised a number of joint venture companies in Vietnam on settling internal disputes between foreign Vietnamese partners in terms of organizational structures and working relationships between representatives of both foreign and Vietnamese partners.
- Advised on a landmark litigation case for the Vietnamese Government in conjunction with Baker McKenzie’s US offices.
- Advised an American multinational technology company that specializes in internet-related services and products in multijurisdictional due diligence with regard to issues related to liability for content and data privacy.
- Advising a telecoms company on the establishment and operation of a CDMA2000 mobile project with the total investment capital of up to USD 655.9 million in Vietnam under Vietnamese law and practices. Advising on the ongoing conversion of the CDMA to GSM and 3G projects.
- Leading Individual (Intellectual Property, Vietnam) – Legal500 Asia Pacific, 2008-2020
- Band 1 (Intellectual Property, Vietnam) – Chambers Asia Pacific, 2017-2020
- Gold Band (Enforcement and Litigation, Prosecution and Strategy, Transactions, Vietnam) – WTR1000, 2020
- Gold Band (Vietnam) – WTR1000, 2016, 2019
- Trademark Star (Vietnam) – Managing Intellectual Property 2020
- Recommended Expert (Vietnam) – IAM Patent 1000, 2020
- Managing Intellectual Property “IP Star” award - Managing Intellectual Property, 2016-2019
- WIPR Leaders - Patents and Trademarks - World Intellectual Property Review 2018
- WIPR Leader 2017 - Trademark - World Intellectual Property Review
- Passionately Client Driven Award - Annual Global IP Best Practice Awards 2014 & 2018 - for his extraordinary efforts in client services and development involving the firm's global and regional key clients and other major fashion brands from the US, France, Italy, Spain, etc.
- Lawyer of the Year – The Vietnam Lawyers’ Federation, the Ministry of Justice and Legal Magazine in 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hanoi Bar Association (Vietnam) - Member
- Vietnam Chamber of Commerce and Industry (VCCI) - Arbitrator of the Vietnam International Arbitration Centre
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Member
- Vietnam Intellectual Property Association - Member
- American Chamber of Commerce in Vietnam (Hanoi Chapter) - Former Chairman of the Legal Committee
- Vietnam (2001)
- Kyushu University, Japan (LL.M. International Economic and Business Law) (2000)
- Hanoi University of Law, Vietnam (LL.B.) (1995)
- Hong Kong
- Author, "Consolidating protection for IP rights," Vietnam Investment Review, March 2020
- Author, "Rewiring intellectual property rules," Vietnam Investment Review, September 2019
- Co-Author, "INSIGHT: ‘Parallel Import' —The Gray Market Goods Exception in Vietnam," Bloomberg Law, August 2019
- Co-Author, " Protecting IP rights in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea," Vietnam Investment Review, March 2019
- Author, "Milestone changes to IPRs protection regime," Vietnam Investment Review, January 2019