Say Sujintaya is a partner in Baker McKenzie's' Bangkok office and the regional chair of the Firm's Intellectual Property Group in Asia Pacific. She also heads the Intellectual Property and Media and Entertainment teams in Bangkok and was responsible for establishing the Intellectual Property practice of the Firm's Yangon office.
Aside from advising clients on IP-related matters, Ms. Sujintaya is also active in lobbying and public policy work. As a member of the World Economic Forum's Global Agenda Council on South-East Asia, she supports efforts to strengthen integration within the region through better education and human capital development.
Ms. Sujintaya manages the patent and trademark portfolios of some of the world’s largest pharmaceutical, software and consumer goods companies. She regularly advises on patent and trademark prosecution matters, as well as licensing. She is also heavily involved in all manner of intellectual property rights enforcement, including the coordination of anti-counterfeiting and anti-piracy campaigns, and IP-related litigation.
Ms. Sujintaya also advises numerous global pharmaceutical companies on trade secrets protection, data exclusivity, compulsory licensing, labeling and advertising laws, and enforcement measures against counterfeit drugs and look-alikes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advises clients on trade secrets, passing-off, as well as trademark and patent prosecution.
- Headed the team that successfully obtained the first Anton Piller Order ever issued by Thailand's Central Intellectual Property & International Trade Court, on behalf of three well-known apparel companies.
- Successfully negotiated with the Thai government on behalf of a multinational pharmaceutical company to prevent the issuance of a patent for an anti-viral drug.
- Acted for major US and French cosmetic companies in coordinating joint raids against wholesalers, warehouses, importers and manufacturers, resulting in the seizure of counterfeit cosmetics, skincare products, equipment and raw materials valued over USD3.2 million.
- Acted as local production counsel for a major US film studio during a film production in Thailand. Her work included advising on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance, navigation in Thai territorial waters, labor issues, customs-related matters, liability and insurance, as well as securing copyright clearances and facilitating the legal use of government property for location filming.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APPA)
- Utah Bar Association
- World Economic Forum - Member, Global Agenda Council on South-East Asia
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property - Secretary, Thai Group
- American Chamber of Commerce
- Danish-Thai Chamber of Commerce
- Utah~United States (2004)
- Loyola Marymount University (J.D.) (1986)
- University of Southern California (B.A.) (1983)