Mackenzie Martin is based in the Dallas office of Baker & McKenzie and previously worked for the Taipei, Hong Kong, and Shanghai offices. Ms. Martin speaks Chinese and has a background in electrical engineering. Ms. Martin's practice focuses on intellectual property, with an emphasis on patent litigation and counseling.
Ms. Martin was named as one of the “Lawyers on the Rise” by Texas Lawyer in 2016, was given the Rising Star Award for IP at Euromoney’s 2017 Americas Women in Business Law Awards, and was selected as a Rising Star for intellectual property litigation in Super Lawyers in 2017 and 2018.
Ms. Martin's practice focuses on litigating complex patent infringement and other intellectual property disputes, including cross-border litigation. Ms. Martin represents clients at all stages of litigation and arbitration. Ms. Martin also handles administrative hearings and trials before the International Trade Commission and United States Patent and Trademark Office Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Ms. Martin also prepares and prosecutes patents in the US and various foreign countries, and she has experience working with clients and inventors during all stages of patent prosecution. Ms. Martin also advises clients regarding freedom-to-operate decisions and provides infringement and invalidity opinions and advice. Ms. Martin also has experience with technology agreements, including intellectual property licensing agreements. Ms. Martin also has experience handling China-related intellectual property matters, including trademark disputes, patent portfolio advising and patent disputes, IP and technology agreements, and anti-monopoly law as it pertains to IP rights.
Ms. Martin has experience in a variety of technical fields, including software, networks, communication systems, integrated circuits, semiconductor devices, computer memory technology, optics, stereographics, LEDs, solar cells, medical devices, financial systems, and display technology.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Honorable Barbara M.G. Lynn American Inn of Court - Associate (2013-2015); Barrister (present)
- Kansas State University Electrical and Computer Engineering Department - Advisory Committee Member (2013-present)
- Susan G. Komen North Texas - Vice President of Board of Directors (2011-2014)
- State Bar of Texas - Member (2008-present)
- American Bar Association - Member (2008-present)
- PTAB Bar Association - Member (2016-present)
- Dallas Bar Association - Member (2008-present)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - Member
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (2013)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (2013)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2013)
- Texas~United States (2008)
- Fudan University (2008)
- Washington University (J.D.) (2008)
- Nanjing University (2005)
- Kansas State University (B.S. Electrical Engineering summa cum laude) (2003)
- Hong Kong
Co-author, "Drafting Complaints Under the Heightened Pleading Standard for Patent Law Suits," Texas Lawyer, 11 March 2016
Author and Presenter, "Utility in Non-Utility: Alternative Invention Protection Schemes Here and Abroad," Texas Bar Advanced Intellectual Property Law Course, 20 March 2015
Panelist, "A True Final Settlement of Patent Infringement Claims: Crafting Settlement Agreements and Accompanying Licenses to Avoid Future Disputes," Association of Corporate Counsel San Francisco Bay Area Patent Committee, June 2018
Panelist, "Top Substantive Law Areas That All GCs Should Know," Association of Corporate Counsel San Francisco Bay Area Career Advancement Committee, First Annual Women’s General Counsel Readiness Review, May 2018
Panelist, "Changing PTAB law and practice, and the (continued) importance of the petition," Managing IP PTAB Forum, Palo Alto, May 2018