Dr. Isabella Liu advises clients on matters relating to the creation, exploitation and protection of IP rights. She is ranked as a leading lawyer in her field by top legal directories, such as Chambers Asia Pacific and IAM Patent. She received the International Law Office Client Choice Award for Trademarks Lawyer of the Year in Intellectual Property — Hong Kong in 2016.
Dr. Liu’s practice focuses on a broad range of IP issues in China. These include patent and trademark prosecution, copyright protection, administrative and civil enforcement of IP rights, licensing, brand acquisitions, and technology transfers.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised one of the largest electronics conglomerates in patent litigation and related patent invalidation proceedings in China.
- Led extensive patent due diligence for a leading Chinese conglomerate in its first investment in the biotechnology sector.
- Performed a patent infringement analysis in respect of a component in set top box, and successfully negotiated favorable settlement terms for a leading telecommunications company in China.
- Represented a world-leading clean fuel technology company in unfair competition, patent ownership dispute and theft of trade secret claims in China.
- Assisted a leading medical device company in commercial disputes with strategy to defend against claims by local distributors and advised on civil procedures in China.
- Assisted a world leading healthcare company on IP due diligence in China, including conducting full freedom-to-operate patent searches and analysis in respect of the device being key to the proposed acquisition.
- Advised the world’s largest supplier of paper products on possible technology collaboration and JV with Hong Kong and PRC entities, preparing and negotiating on terms of collaboration agreement, as well as conducting patent due diligence.
- Advised a leading US agricultural cooperative on proposed JV structure in China involving intra-organization transfer of secret formula to streamline the manufacturing process and preparing relevant technology and trademark licenses.
- Assisted a leading global manufacturing and technology company with various commercial IP agreements, such as technology R&D commissioning/service agreements, contract manufacturing and repair subcontractor agreements, technology and other IP licenses, and employee IP and confidentiality agreements.
- Reviewed software agreements (e.g., software view only license agreement and software development service agreement) for one of the world’s largest supplier of semiconductors for wired and wireless communications and providing training materials on trade secret protection in China.
- Trademarks Lawyer of the Year, Hong Kong, International Law Office Client Choice Award, 2016
- Leading Lawyer in Life Sciences (International Firms), China/ Hong Kong, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2016
- Recommended Individual in Litigation and Transactions, Hong Kong, IAM Patent 1000, 2015
- Up-and-coming Lawyer in Life Sciences (International Firms), China/Hong Kong, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2014-2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hong Kong Association of Pharmaceutical Industry - Honorary Legal Advisor
- Hong Kong (2010)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2003)
- College of Law at London (L.P.C.) (2000)
- College of Law at London (C.P.E. with commendation) (1999)
- Imperial College, London (Ph.D. Molecular Pharmacology & Toxicology) (1998)
- University College London (B.S. Biochemistry First Class Honors) (1994)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.