Dr. Isabella Liu is the head of the Firm's Asia Pacific Intellectual Property and Technology Group. She advises clients on matters relating to the creation, exploitation and protection of IP rights. She is also responsible for the local IP Group's China and Hong Kong patent prosecution matters. Previously, Dr. Isabella Liu was the head of the Firm's Asia Pacific Healthcare and Life Sciences Industry Group for three years, leading a team of legal experts in this field cross multiple practices in the region.
Dr. Liu is ranked as a leading lawyer in her field by top legal directories such as Chambers Asia Pacific for the Life Sciences category and IAM Patent. She has been complimented by clients that she possesses "a superb ability to understand the most complex technologies" and was noted for "advis[ing] in a way that is very commercial and strategic."
Isabella is also engaged as a regular guest lecturer by the University of Hong Kong's Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy to share her expertise on intellectual property in the pharmaceutical industry with HKU students.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised one of the largest electronics conglomerates in patent litigation and related patent invalidation proceedings in China.
- Led extensive patent due diligence for a leading Chinese conglomerate in its first investment in the biotechnology sector.
- Performed a patent infringement analysis in respect of a component in set top box, and successfully negotiated favorable settlement terms for a leading telecommunications company in China.
- Represented a world-leading clean fuel technology company in unfair competition, patent ownership dispute and theft of trade secret claims in China.
- Assisted a leading medical device company in commercial disputes with strategy to defend against claims by local distributors and advised on civil procedures in China.
- Assisted a world leading healthcare company on IP due diligence in China, including conducting full freedom-to-operate patent searches and analysis in respect of the device being key to the proposed acquisition.
- Advised the world’s largest supplier of paper products on possible technology collaboration and JV with Hong Kong and PRC entities, preparing and negotiating on terms of collaboration agreement, as well as conducting patent due diligence.
- Advised a leading US agricultural cooperative on proposed JV structure in China involving intra-organization transfer of secret formula to streamline the manufacturing process and preparing relevant technology and trademark licenses.
- Assisted a leading global manufacturing and technology company with various commercial IP agreements, such as technology R&D commissioning/service agreements, contract manufacturing and repair subcontractor agreements, technology and other IP licenses, and employee IP and confidentiality agreements.
- Reviewed software agreements (e.g., software view only license agreement and software development service agreement) for one of the world’s largest supplier of semiconductors for wired and wireless communications and providing training materials on trade secret protection in China.
- Leading Lawyer: Life Sciences, China: International Firms - Chambers Asia (2016-2020)
- Top 250 Women in IP, Hong Kong SAR - Managing IP (2020)
- Recommended Lawyer: Transactions, Hong Kong - WTR 1000 (2020)
- Recommended Lawyer: Prosecutions and Transactions, Hong Kong - IAM Patent 1000 (2016-2019)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hong Kong Association of Pharmaceutical Industry - Honorary Legal Advisor
- Hong Kong (2010)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2003)
- College of Law at London (L.P.C.) (2000)
- College of Law at London (C.P.E. with commendation) (1999)
- Imperial College, London (Ph.D. Molecular Pharmacology & Toxicology) (1998)
- University College London (B.S. Biochemistry First Class Honors) (1994)