Leading global law firm Baker McKenzie today announced the appointment of its new Global Practice Group and Industry Group leaders. All appointments will be effective from 1st July 2023.
The four appointees are:
• Intellectual Property Partner Eva-Maria Strobel (Zurich) and Technology Partner Steve Holmes (London) will be taking over from Anne-Marie Allgrove as Co-Chairs of the Global Intellectual Property, Technology and Data Practice Group. Eva-Maria advises clients on the development of intellectual property strategies, particularly in the luxury goods, cosmetics, and food and beverages industries as well as the healthcare sector. Steve advises clients on major technology, outsourcing, telecommunications, digital and other complex transactions.
• Tax Partner James Wilson (Washington, DC) will be taking over from Antonio Russo as chair of our Global Tax Group. During his 20+ year career at Baker McKenzie, James has worked in three offices on two continents, helping clients navigate complex transactions and disputes. He is currently chair of the Firm's Global Tax Planning, Transactions and Tax Policy sub-practice group.
• Emmanuel Hadjidakis (Singapore), who also leads our Banking & Finance Practice in Asia Pacific, will be taking over from Jonathan Peddie as chair of our Global Financial Institutions Group. Emmanuel regularly acts for financial institutions, borrowers and private equity funds throughout the Asia Pacific region. He is experienced in general finance, acquisition finance, restructurings, structured finance, Islamic finance and property finance, and he handles and closes large and complex financings.
Commenting on these appointments, Baker McKenzie's Global Chair Milton Cheng said:
“I am delighted to announce the new Global Chairs in these important areas of growth for the Firm. For example, as the global financial sector embraces new technologies and moves to a carbon neutral economy, our Financial Institutions practice is a leader in advising clients on the opportunities and risks that they pose. Also, Tax is a key focus area for Baker McKenzie, as rapid transformation and changing legislation continues to shape the future business landscape and tax increasingly intersects with our clients' most strategic business decisions. It is through these and our other practice and industry groups that we are able to be at the forefront of the trends that matter most to our clients."
Alongside these new appointments, Baker McKenzie also confirms the following Global Chair extensions:
• Michael DeFranco (Chicago) will continue as Global Chair of our Transactional Practice Group.
• Adam Farlow (London) will continue as Global Chair of our Capital Markets practice.
• Karen Guch (London) will continue as Global Chair of our Private Equity practice.
• Vanina Caniza (Buenos Aires) will continue as Global Chair of our Healthcare & Life Sciences practice.
• Mark Hamer (Washington, DC) will continue as Global Chair of our Antitrust & Competition practice.
• Matthew Dening (London) will continue as Global Chair of our Banking & Finance practice.
• Michael Brewer (San Francisco) will continue as Global Chair of our Employment & Compensation practice.