Matthew Dening is Global Chair of the Firm's Banking & Finance practice group, Chair of the Firm's Global Derivatives practice group and a member of the Firm’s Structured Capital Markets Group in the London office.
He focuses his practice primarily on cross-border structured finance transactions involving derivatives, repos and securities lending, as well as the regulation of financial products under the European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR), MiFID II and the Securities Financing Transactions Regulation (SFTR).
Matthew has received acknowledgement from numerous legal industry guides. He has been ranked as a leading expert by Chambers & Partners since 2005, and is currently ranked Band 1 in Structured Finance & Derivatives in the most recent Global edition. They highlight that he "understands complex problems very well, and is able to think about business issues in conjunction with legal requirements," as well as being "incredibly responsive and client-friendly." He regularly acts for buy-side derivatives firms. The UK Legal 500 note him as "a true expert in this area of law, a pleasant person who can explain very difficult matters clearly."
Matthew is a member of the Editorial Board of Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Finance Law. He is a frequent speaker and guest panellist at conferences in both the derivative and structured product area, as well as law firm management. He was a guest panellist at the Thomson Reuters Transforming Women’s Leadership in the Law conference in 2019.
- Ranked Band 1, Structured Finance & Derivatives - London, Chambers, 2020
- Ranked as a Leading Individual, Derivatives and Structured Products, UK Legal 500, 2020
- Ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Capital Markets: Derivatives, International Financial Law Review 1000, 2019
- Listed in Capital Markets Law and Derivatives, Best Lawyer, 2009-2018
- Recognised in Derivatives, International Law Office's Client Choice Awards, Lexology 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc.
- The City of London Law Society - Former Member, Financial Law Committee
- Hong Kong (1998)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1995)
- College of Law (1992)
- University of Kent at Canterbury (1991)