Matthew Dening is a member of the Firm’s Banking group. He focuses his practice primarily on cross-border structured finance transactions involving derivatives, repos and securities lending, as well as on the regulation of financial products under the European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR), MiFID II and the Securities Financing Transactions Regulation (SFTR).
Matthew has received acknowledgement from numerous industry ranking guides. In Chambers Global 2014, editors noted "Matthew Dening is admired by sources because he ‘explains things from a commercial perspective’ as well as a legal one." Clients also described him as "exceptional" and "incredibly responsive, thoughtful, accurate and commercial" in Chambers UK, 2018.
Matthew has also been interviewed widely for his thought leadership, including in such leading industry publications as Legal Week. Indeed, sources in The Legal 500 UK, 2017 say he is "‘a true expert in this area of law, a pleasant person who can explain very difficult matters clearly."
- Ranked Band 1, Chambers UK 2018
- Ranked Individual, Chambers Global, 2005-2018
- Listed in Capital Markets Law and Derivatives, Best Lawyer, 2009-2018
- Leading Individual in Derivatives and Structured Products, The Legal 500 UK, 2017
- Leading Lawyer in Capital Markets: Derivatives, IFLR 1000, 2017
- Listed in Banking, Who's Who Legal 2017
- Listed in Capital Markets, Who's Who Legal 2016
- Recognized in Derivatives, International Law Office's Client Choice Awards, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc.
- The City of London Law Society - Member, Financial Law Committee
- Hong Kong (1998)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1995)
- College of Law (1992)
- University of Kent at Canterbury (1991)