Eva-Maria focuses on the development of intellectual property strategies to procure, protect and commercialize her domestic and multinational client's intangible assets and to grow the return on investment. She conducts IP portfolio audits, tailors trademark and design clearances, manages large global trademark and design portfolios and represents clients in IP related enforcement, litigation and in relation to governmental administrations. Eva-Maria also supports her clients on the implementation of business decisions, licensing, and contracting to maximize economic returns. She advises clients in luxury goods, cosmetics and foods and beverages industries as well as in the healthcare sector on a whole host of regulatory issues relevant to the industry, with a particular focus on marketing and advertising.
She has been complimented by clients who have said that she "walks the extra mile and thinks outside the box to achieve the best results for her clients." Eva-Maria is an active member of INTA's Unreal Campaign Committee, Marques' Regulatory Team and ECTA's Law Committee.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the global trademark and design portfolio for a multinational manufacturer of jewelry and watches.
- Assisted on all aspects of cosmetic and food law associated with the planned introduction of new products.
- Advised local and international clients on trademarks, copyrights and unfair competition.
- Handled all legal issues related to advertising, marketing and promotional schemes, particularly in view of international marketing strategies.
- Developed a strategy to protect intangible assets of a Swiss company active in the tire recycling business.
- Assisted clients in reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts, including framework agreements, co-operation agreements, license agreements, research and development agreements, agency agreements and loyalty program agreements.
- Assisted in the enforcement of the client's rights against counterfeiters and parallel importers.
- Advised clients on domain name conflicts.
- Top 250 Women in IP, Managing IP, 2021
- Best Lawyers Switzerland, IP, 2021
- IP Star: Trademark, Managing IP, since more than five years in a row
- Ranked Lawyer, Intellectual Property Switzerland, Chambers Europe, 2021
- Leading Individual in Intellectual Property in Switzerland, The Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa Guide, 2021
- Expert based abroad, Intellectual Property [Germany], Chambers Global, 2013-2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Unreal Campaign Committee Member
- Association of European Trade Mark Owners (Marques) - Regulatory Team Member
- European Communities Trademark Association (ECTA) - Law Committee Member
- Swiss Association for Intellectual Property Law (INGRES) - Member
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property & Copyright (GRUR) - Member
- German-Swiss Lawyers' Association - Member
- Swiss Marketing Club - Member
- Attorney, Canton of Zurich~Switzerland (2013)
- Foreign Attorney, Canton of Zurich~Switzerland (2008)
- Frankfurt/M.~Germany (2002)
- District Court of Duisburg (2001)
- University of Leiden (1999)
- University of Bonn (1998)
Select publications and articles
Author "Der Name ist nur Schall und (Kohle-)Rauch" / "The name is just sound and (charcoal) smoke" in sic!, July 2021
Author "No" to vegan salami, but "Yes" to soy-based whipping cream?" in European Food and Feed Law Review, June 2021
Author ""Verwechslungsfähigkeit von "Twins" - Nomen est Omen?"" in sic!, December 2020
Co-Author of Büscher/Dittmer/Schiwy (Eds.), Gewerblicher Rechtsschutz, Urheberrecht, Medienrecht (Intellectual Property, Copyrights and Media Law Commentary), Haymanns, 2nd ed., Cologne Munich 2010 (§§ 106 – 111c UrhG) – third edition will be published Q2/2020.
Alles Käse oder was? Der Heks‘nkaas-Entscheid des EuGH, in sic! 2019, 325
Das EU Markenrecht im Wandel – Gedanken zur 2. Welle der EU Markenrechtsreform (together with Birgit Clark, BM London), sic! 6/2018, p. 342-348