There is no question that the pandemic has changed the future of work. From an increased focus on health and safety to transitioning to permanent (or indefinite) remote work, or preparing for business transformation, companies are facing critical business challenges in regard to their most important asset — their people.
Technological advancement, economic pressures and unexpected global events such as the COVID-19 pandemic have all led to a significant increase in appetite for agility and flexibility in workforces. Traditional employment models are being transformed, with many global organizations moving away from the typical 9-5 office work existence in favor of contingent, temporary, remote, platform-based and crowdworking models. As the use of automation and AI accelerate, in the wake of a global pandemic, there has never been a more critical time for organizations wishing to stay competitive to innovate and revolutionize their working practices.
Our Employment and Compensation lawyers have unmatched expertise in guiding global employers through uncertain times. With over 700 employment lawyers and professionals advising over 12,000 employment and compensation clients across over 80 countries, we have the largest employment practice in the world. Leveraging the strength of our integrated team of tax, IP, antitrust, compliance and litigation lawyers, we partner with clients to create safe and agile workforce models, tailoring an approach unique to your business to help you maintain business continuity and futureproof your organization.
Creating a fit-for-purpose workforce while protecting business interests requires knowledge across many areas of regulation, including employment, remuneration and benefits, mobility, data privacy/protection, tax and protection of confidential information/ trade secrets.
Through our Resilience, Recovery & Renewal model, we bring together our broad expertise of 'modern workforce' models, enabling companies rethinking their workforce to stay compliant in an ever-changing regulatory landscape and meet their strategic objectives for future-proofing their human resources.
- Workforce Restructuring: Many companies are looking to restructure their workforce as they seek to combat the effects of the pandemic and transform their business models. With extensive experience managing business change and disruption, we help clients through major business changes, whether it be layoffs and redundancies (or other cost-cutting measures) or strategic transactions to align synergies and unlock value.
- Compliance Support: We can advise clients on the regulatory frameworks governing non-traditional workforce engagement by jurisdiction and on the likely developments globally. We can help identify countries with the highest reputational, regulatory, financial and employee relations risks of non-compliance, to assist with designing the right workforce models.
- Audits & Risk Management: We can conduct global compliance audits to assess modern workforce risks in a client's business. We can advise and provide support to address the risks arising across multiple areas, such as employment, remuneration and benefits, mobility, data privacy, tax and protection of confidential information/trade secrets. Our audit service also enables us to provide practical advice to mitigate risk before a joint/related employer claim is brought.
- Return-to-Work Multijurisdictional Advice: We provide tailored advice to companies on a wide spectrum of pandemic-related issues like local obligations concerning PPE, temperature checks and testing, vaccination policies, health certifications, leave entitlements, immigration and mobility travel restrictions, data privacy guidance and more. With unparalleled global geographic reach, we are uniquely positioned to offer human resources solutions that are effective worldwide.
- Litigation and Crisis Support: When world economies face challenges, employment litigation claims of all types arise. Employers are grappling with a rush of litigation, raising new and novel theories. We provide practical advice to help reduce the risk for your company and defend the company when necessary. Our experienced employment litigators can provide rapid counsel, support and resource planning for misclassification claims, class actions, taxation authority challenges, joint/related employer threats, criminal allegations, dawn raids and information security breaches.
- Agile Workforce Planning: We partner with clients to design bespoke programs for remote working, whether temporary, permanent, in full or in part, as they continue to adjust to the impact of the pandemic. We advise on the numerous legal considerations, including employment, benefits, immigration, corporate tax, data privacy and trade secrets, and we work with clients to develop policies and practices to support working arrangements, and advise on how best to manage risks and remain compliant.
- Workforce Transformation: We partner with domestic and multinational employers to design innovative and compliant Future of Work strategies. We work with clients to transform their employment models and drive business change projects to successful conclusions projects in order to meet their future-proofing objectives, by combining strategic advice with practical day-to-day management guidance.