Imke Gerdes is a partner in Baker McKenzie's New York office. Before joining the New York office, she was a partner in the Firm's Vienna office. Imke is admitted to the German Bar, the New York Bar and she is admitted as tax advisor ("Steuerberater") to the Austrian Chamber for Tax Advisors. She is the Chairman of the Subcommittee Taxation of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association.
Imke Gerdes has been focusing on European and Austrian tax law applicable to company reorganizations, M&A transactions and related tax structures as well as in international tax law and US and German/Austrian Transfer Pricing. She has represented several clients in Transfer Pricing tax audits in the US, Germany and Austria, competent authority procedures and cross border audits involving two or more EU member states. She also advises clients on the impact of BEPS and European State Aid regulations. Her impressive track record includes advising on the first cross-border merger in Austria.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an international group of companies in a cross border tax audit involving seven European Member States.
- Successfully negotiated conclusions to numerous tax audits concerning transfer pricing and advance pricing agreements in Austria.
- Advised several multinational clients in cross-border restructuring.
- Represented a major Japan-based group of companies in a competent authority procedure.
- Acted as counsel to purchasers (for example IDEX Corporation), as well as to sellers in M&A transactions and the tax implications associated with these.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Chair of the Subcommittee Taxation of the Business Law Section
- New York Bar Association - Member
- German Bar Association - Member
- Austrian Chamber for Tax Advisors - Member
- International Fiscal Association - Member
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners - Member
- Austria (2001)
- Germany (2001)
- New York - Foreign Legal Consultant (2015)
- New York~United States (2017)
- NYU Law School (LL.M.) (2016)
- University of Economics and Business Administration, Vienna (LL.M.) (2004)
- University of Passau (1998)
Interview, "Global Tax Planning: What You Need to Know about OECD BEPS," Financial Management Network, 2018