Imke Gerdes is a partner in Baker McKenzie's New York office. She is highly experienced in tax law with over 15 years of experience in international taxation. Imke is one of the few Austrian lawyers qualified as a lawyer and tax advisor ("Steuerberater").
Imke routinely handles Austrian and international tax law matters. She advises clients on the tax aspects of company reorganizations, as well as M&A transactions and related tax structures. Imke also assists clients in tax audits, especially relating to transfer pricing issues, advance pricing agreements, and competent authority procedures. Her impressive track record includes advising on the first cross-border merger in Austria.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Bristol Myers Squibb in its sale of the Convatec business.
- Successfully negotiated conclusions to numerous tax audits concerning transfer pricing and advance pricing agreements in Austria.
- Advised several multinational clients in cross-border restructuring.
- Represented a major Japan-based group of companies in a competent authority procedure.
- Acted as counsel to purchasers (for example IDEX Corporation), as well as to sellers in M&A transactions and the tax implications associated with these.
- Advised various international enterprises with the establishment and implementation of stock option plans.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Vice Chair of the Subcommittee Taxation of the Business Law Section
- Austrian Chamber for Tax Advisors - Member
- German Bar Association - Member
- New York Bar Association - Member
- International Fiscal Association - Member
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners - Member
- Austria (2001)
- Germany (2001)
- New York - Foreign Legal Consultant (2015)
- New York~United States (2017)
- NYU Law School (LL.M.) (2016)
- University of Economics and Business Administration, Vienna (LL.M.) (2004)
- University of Passau (1998)