Imke Gerdes has been focusing on European and Austrian tax law applicable to company reorganizations, M&A transactions and related tax structures as well as in international tax law and US and German/Austrian Transfer Pricing. She has represented several clients in Transfer Pricing tax audits in the US, Germany and Austria, competent authority procedures and cross border audits involving two or more EU member states. She also advises clients on the impact of BEPS and European State Aid regulations. Her impressive track record includes advising on the first cross-border merger in Austria.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised an international group of companies in a cross border tax audit involving seven European Member States.
- Successfully negotiated conclusions to numerous tax audits concerning transfer pricing and advance pricing agreements in Austria.
- Advised several multinational clients in cross-border restructuring.
- Represented a major Japan-based group of companies in a competent authority procedure.
- Acted as counsel to purchasers (for example IDEX Corporation), as well as to sellers in M&A transactions and the tax implications associated with these.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York Bar Association - Member
- German Bar Association - Member
- Austrian Chamber for Tax Advisors - Member
- International Fiscal Association - Member
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners - Member
- Austria (2001)
- Germany (2001)
- New York - Foreign Legal Consultant (2015)
- New York~United States (2017)
- NYU Law School (LL.M.) (2016)
- University of Economics and Business Administration, Vienna (LL.M.) (2004)
- University of Passau (1998)
Co-author, “PE Issues caused by employees working outside of their home jurisdiction,” Bloomberg Law News, 7 April 2020
Co-author, "Understanding and Preparing for Multilateral Tax Audits," Tax Notes International, September 2018, p. 1111 et seq
Author of the Austrian chapter in "Foreign Tax & Trade Briefs," LexisNexis, 2018
Co-author of BNA Tax Management Portfolio (6912 T.M.), "Transfer Pricing: A Case Study" (Methods and Documentation)
Co-author, "The Changing Landscape of Tax Audits," International Taxation, January 2016, p. 28 et seq
Co-author, "Principles of Global Documentation," International Taxation, February 2014, p. 93 et seq