William (Widge) Devaney is a partner in the Firm's North America Litigation group in New York and co-chair of the North American Government Enforcement Practice. He was an assistant United States attorney in the District of New Jersey, where he was a member of the Securities Fraud Unit. Mr. Devaney has significant trial and appellate experience, as well as significant experience leading investigations and assisting clients with corporate compliance, especially in the anti-corruption area. He investigated and prosecuted numerous cases involving securities fraud, bank fraud, mail and wire fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, terrorism, government program fraud, computer trespass, and export violations. He served as the lead criminal tax prosecutor in the District of New Jersey and headed the Money Laundering Task Force. From 2013 to 2015, he was recognized in Super Lawyers Business Edition in the Criminal Defense: White Collar category. From 2011 to 2015, Mr. Devaney was listed in New York Metro Super Lawyers in the Criminal Defense: White Collar category. Mr. Devaney is co-chair of the ABA's Transnational Crime Subcommittee, and an officer of the IBA's Business Crime Committee. He previously served on the Criminal Justice Act Panel for the South District of New York, representing indigent clients in federal criminal matters. Mr. Devaney served as law clerk to the Honorable Oliver Gasch on the US District Court for the District of Columbia in 1993-94.
Mr. Devaney's main areas of practice are white-collar criminal defense, criminal antitrust, cartel defense, investigations, compliance and complex civil litigation. His practice includes representing corporations and individuals in federal and state white-collar criminal and civil proceedings, representing individuals and corporations in multinational investigations, including FCPA and export control matters, and conducting national and international internal investigations on behalf of corporate management, audit committees and special committees of boards of directors. Mr. Devaney frequently represents clients in SEC enforcement actions and in complex civil litigation, including civil fraud, securities fraud and civil RICO. Mr. Devaney also assists clients with the design and implementation of anti-corruption compliance programs, and provides anti-corruption counseling.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a large multinational government contractor in a DOJ FCPA and procurement fraud investigation.
- Represented a large multi-national corporation in a DOJ/SEC FCPA investigation with a parallel investigation in Europe.
- Represented a multinational logistics company in a DOJ and Department of Commerce investigation regarding alleged violations of US trade sanctions.
- Represented a software company in a Department of Commerce and OFAC investigation regarding alleged violations of US trade sanctions.
- Represented a US executive of a large, multinational logistics company in a DOJ/SEC FCPA investigation.
- Represented the CFO of a financial institution in a DOJ and SEC accounting fraud investigation.
- Represented an executive in the pharmaceutical industry in a DOJ antitrust investigation.
- Represented a Chinese company and its US subsidiary in a civil RICO action in federal court in New Jersey.
- Designed several dozen anti-corruption compliance programs and conducted training for public and private companies in the financial services, defense and non-defense government contracting, life sciences, logistics, consumer and non-profit industries, including providing anti-corruption training and compliance advice to one of the world’s largest hedge funds.
- New York~United States (1992)
- Cambridge University (LL.M. Honors) (1995)
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D.) (1991)
- Georgetown University (A.B. cum laude) (1988)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.