Loke-Khoon Tan is a partner and head of the Firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group in Hong Kong and China. He sits on the Global Firm’s Steering Committee for the Consumer Goods & Retail (including Luxury and Fashion) Industry Practice. He is consistently ranked among the leading lawyers for intellectual property by Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global, PLC Which lawyer? and Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Mr. Tan is a member of the Firm's Global Diversity & Inclusion Committee. As an integral part of the Firm's Corporate Social Responsibility Program, the Committee has broad oversight for the strategic development and implementation of the Firm's diversity activities.
Mr. Tan is currently a Adjunct Professor of Law at The University of Hong Kong. He is also a member of the Internet Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA) and is sitting on the Copyright Committee. He has held positions in various industry bodies including the Copyright Committee of the Hong Kong Group of the Asian Patent Attorney’s Association, the Legislation & Regulation Committee (East Asia & Pacific Subcommittee) of INTA and the Editorial Committee of IP Asia. He is the past Chairman of the MARQUES (The Association of European Trademark Proprietors) China Team, and also the past Chairman of the IP Committee of AMCHAM (American Chamber of Commerce) in Hong Kong.
He is also a member of the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Centre Panel who presides over an administrative procedure for the resolution of domain name disputes pursuant to the ICANN Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy. He also sits on the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre's Panel of Arbitrators for Intellectual Property Disputes as well as its Domain Name Dispute Resolution Panel. He is a member of the CIETAC Domain Name Dispute Resolution Center and the Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre and handled their first domain name dispute cases.
Mr. Tan writes regularly for many IP publications, and is the author of the “Pirates” trilogy and books including “Pirates in the Middle Kingdom: The New Frontier" (Sweet & Maxwell, Dec. 2016) (the third edition of the trilogy), the chapter in "Intellectual Property and Domain Name Arbitration" (Arbitration in Hong Kong A Practical Guide, 2014 Third Edition) and the Chapter on "Intellectual Property Protection" (Doing Business in China Guidebook, Baker & McKenzie). He is also the co-editor of the "Global Legal Guide for Luxury and Fashion Companies," a Baker McKenzie publication (2015).
Mr. Tan's practice focuses specially on intellectual property law in the People’s Republic of China, with particular emphasis on the structuring of intellectual property rights and anti-counterfeiting planning in the area of trademarks, patents, copyright, trade names, computer software, passing-off, unfair competition, designs, labeling laws, food, drug and health regulations, consumer, media and advertising laws. With the new economy, his practice also encompasses domain name, Internet, social media and technology laws. He also has extensive experience representing major brands and leading corporations in various industries, including luxury and fashion, retail, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals, alcohol and liquor etc.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre - Domain Name Dispute Resolution Panel- Member
- Hong Kong Institute of Trade Mark Practitioners – Member
- Hong Kong Intellectual Property Society – Member
- International Chamber of Commerce – Member
- MARQUES (The Association of European Trademark Proprietors) – Past Chairman, China Team
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APPA) - Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Member
- Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre (ADNDRC) - Member
- WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Centre Panel - Member
- CIETAC Domain Name Dispute Resolution Center - Member
- Singapore Law Review - Board of Advisors
- HKIAC Panel of Arbitrators for Intellectual Property Disputes – Member
- Singapore Association and Singapore Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong – Member
- Hong Kong (1995)
- England & Wales (non-practising)~United Kingdom (1994)
- Singapore (1988)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B.) (1987)