Taijiro Suzuki is a member of the Firm's Banking & Finance and Real Estate practice groups in Tokyo. He previously worked in Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow in Singapore from September 2012 to August 2013. He was recognized by 2017-2018 Legal 500 Asia Pacific (Japan: Real Estate) as a Next Generation Lawyer (within an international firm and joint venture).
Taijiro's practice focuses on project finance including PFI, solar and wind power generation, acting for both domestic and foreign clients. He also assists clients with legal issues involving real estate finance and the securitization of various types of assets (TMK structure, TK-GK structure, real estate specified joint enterprise structure, and trust structure). He also works on the development of residential, commercial and resort projects as well as urban redevelopment projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for international funds, asset managers and financial institutions with respect to the real estate securitization projects of hotels, offices, residences, commercial and healthcare facilities (TMK structure, TK-GK structure, real estate specified joint enterprise structure, and trust structure).
- Acted for a foreign-based fund in relation to a hotel development project at ski resorts in Hokkaido, Japan.
- Acted for a foreign fund in relation to an urban redevelopment project.
- Acted for a foreign business company regarding the sale and purchase of a commercial building.
- Acted for a foreign luxury brand manufacturer in relation to the development of a commercial building, using a fixed-term business land lease arrangement.
- Acted for a foreign fund with regard to the acquisition of a shopping mall.
- Advised domestic and international funds, trust companies and bank agents in relation to Financial Instruments and Exchange Act and Banking Act regulations.
- Acted for a Japanese construction company with respect to an infrastructure development project in Vietnam.
- Acted for a Japanese financial institution with respect to a finance transaction in Indonesia.
- Acted for a Japanese financial institution with respect to an investment in US-based commercial facilities.
- Next Generation Lawyers: Bengoshi (within international firms and joint ventures), The Legal 500Asia Pacific 2017-2018 (Japan: Real Estate)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan (2005)
- University of Toronto (LLM) (2012)
- Hitotsubashi University Faculty of Business (2001)
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.