Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise)
Taijiro Suzuki is a member of the Firm's Finance & Projects and Real Estate practice groups in Tokyo. He previously worked in Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow in Singapore from September 2012 to August 2013. He was recognized as a Next Generation Lawyer/Next Generation Partner (within an international firm and joint venture) by 2017-2021 Legal 500 Asia Pacific (Japan: Real Estate).
Taijiro's practice focuses on project finance including PFI, solar and wind power generation, acting for both domestic and foreign clients. He also assists clients with legal issues involving real estate finance and the securitization of various types of assets (TMK structure, TK-GK structure, real estate specified joint enterprise structure, and trust structure). He also works on the development of residential, commercial and resort projects as well as urban redevelopment projects. In recent years, he has been involved in asset finance for outer space business and overall outer space law issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for an international data center operator in relation to data center development and leasing transactions.
- Acted for an international hotel operator in relation to resort hotel development and hotel management agreement.
- Acted for a domestic developer in relation to hotel branded residence development and management agreement with an international hotel operator.
- Acted for international funds, asset managers and financial institutions with respect to the real estate securitization projects of hotels, offices, residences, commercial and healthcare facilities (TMK structure, TK-GK structure, real estate specified joint enterprise structure, and trust structure).
- Acted for a foreign-based fund in relation to a hotel development project at ski resorts in Hokkaido, Japan.
- Acted for a foreign fund in relation to an urban redevelopment project.
- Acted for a foreign business company regarding the sale and purchase of a commercial building.
- Acted for a foreign luxury brand manufacturer in relation to the development of a commercial building, using a fixed-term business land lease arrangement.
- Acted for a foreign fund with regard to the acquisition of a shopping mall.
- Advised domestic and international funds, trust companies and bank agents in relation to Financial Instruments and Exchange Act and Banking Act regulations.
- Recognized as “Next Generation Partners: Bengoshi” in Japan: Real Estate (within international firms and joint ventures), The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2020 - 2021
- Recognized as “Next Generation Lawyers: Bengoshi” in Japan: Real Estate (within international firms and joint ventures), The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2017 - 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan (2005)
- University of Toronto (LLM) (2012)
- Hitotsubashi University Faculty of Business (2001)
Publications & Presentations
Publications and articles
- Co-author, "Civil Code amendments affecting real estate transactions - Volume 2,” February 2020
- Co-author, "Civil Code amendments affecting real estate transactions - Volume 1,” January 2020
- Presenter, “How to successfully conclude domestic hotel management contracts, finance development funding, and points of legal work,” Kinyu Facsimile Shimbun, February 2020
- Presenter, “How to negotiate domestic hotel management contracts with global hotel operators,” Sogo Unicom Co., Ltd., December 2019
- Presenter, “How to successfully conclude domestic hotel management contracts with global hotel operators including branded residences,” Japan Knowledge Center, December 2019
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.