Maria Smith heads Baker McKenzie's Trade Mark Team in Hong Kong. She has extensive experience in contentious, non-contentious and commercial Intellectual Property matters, with a focus on trade marks and copyright. She has been recognized as a leading lawyer in her field by Chambers Asia Pacific for three consecutive years. Ms. Smith is also involved in the firm's Diversity Initiatives and Champions the Hong Kong office's BakerWomen Group.
Ms. Smith's practice comprises of global and regional IP portfolio management and brand protection, including trade mark selection and branding, trade mark prosecution, trade mark opposition and cancellation proceedings; licensing; enforcement; domain name and copyright matters.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Marques - Association of European Trademark Owners
- Hong Kong Institute of Trade Mark Practitioners
- INTA - Committee Member - Brands and Innovation
- South Africa (1992)
- University of South Africa (LL.B.) (1992)
- University of Witwatersrand (B.A.) (1983)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.