Maria Smith heads Baker & McKenzie's Hong Kong and Regional Brand Protection and Enforcement team, which handles contentious, non-contentious and commercial intellectual property matters, with a focus on trade marks and copyright. Ms. Smith has been recognized as a leading lawyer in her field by Chambers Asia Pacific for eight consecutive years.
Ms. Smith is heavily involved in the Firm's Diversity Initiatives and champions the Hong Kong office's BakerWomen Group.
Ms. Smith's practice comprises of global and regional IP portfolio management and brand protection. She has solid experience advising clients on brand selection, brand clearance before product launch or market entry, as well as overall protection strategies. She has successfully assisted clients in numerous administrative proceedings and other contentious and enforcement matters. Her specialty also includes advising on IP audits and acquisitions as well as other commercial IP matters.
- Gold Tier, Prosecution and Strategy – World Trademark Review 1000 (2019)
- Leading Individual (Hong Kong) – World Trademark Review 1000 (2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011)
- Leading Lawyer (Intellectual Property, China/Hong Kong) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2019, 2018, 2017, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009)
- IP Star (Hong Kong) – Managing Intellectual Property (2018, 2015, 2014)
- Leading Trade Mark Practitioner – Managing Intellectual Property (2012, 2011, 2010)
- Leading Trade Mark Lawyer – Asia IP Experts (2015, 2014, 2013)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Marques - Association of European Trademark Owners
- Hong Kong Institute of Trade Mark Practitioners
- INTA - Committee Member, Brands and Innovation
- South Africa (1992)
- University of South Africa (LL.B.) (1992)
- University of Witwatersrand (B.A.) (1983)