David Davis handles a wide range of matters relating to various aspects of intellectual property law, including prosecution before the US Patent and Trademark Office, international intellectual property coordination, counseling and prosecution, managing the intellectual property aspects of mergers, acquisitions and other corporate transactions, drafting of intellectual property license agreements and resolving domain name, social media and other internet-related conflicts. Mr. Davis has also worked on numerous IP matters in several federal, district and appellate courts. He has written and spoken extensively on issues relating to various aspects of intellectual property law and has been quoted on a number of occasions in the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and co-authored an article in the Trademark Reporter.
Representative Legal Matters
- Led global rebranding and trademark filing projects for clients in advertising, staffing, consulting, pharmaceutical and consumer products industries.
- Successfully defended against trade dress, trademark and copyright claims in a case before the Northern District of Illinois and Seventh Circuit involving automotive appearance products.
- Coordinated the intellectual property aspects of the divestiture of two business lines of a consumer products company with trademark rights in more than 110 countries.
- Successfully defended staffing company against trademark infringement action brought in Southern District of Florida.
- Participated as second chair in trademark and trade dress infringement action brought in Western District of Texas and Fifth Circuit on behalf of candy manufacturer.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (1999)
- U.S. District Court, Colorado~United States (1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (1994)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1990)
- Duke University School of Law (J.D.) (1990)
- Duke University (M.B.A.) (1990)
- University of Illinois (B.S. cum laude) (1986)