David assists global companies with the protection, enforcement, develop and handling their IP rights in Mexico and abroad. David also regularly counsels clients on their IP portfolio management, including prosecution, licensing and maintenance of trademarks, commercial slogans, copyrights, patents and industrial designs. David also handles all kind of IP disputes including oppositions, cancellation and invalidation actions.
He represents clients from a wide array of fields and industries, such as consumer goods, healthcare, pharmaceutical, casinos, restaurants, videogames, technology, banking, among others.
Representative Legal Matters
- Managed trademark matters on behalf of a well-known US-based pharmaceutical company, including design and trademark clearance and registration.
- Handled and coordinated a portfolio of over 550 registered trademarks and commercial slogans for a Mexican fintech unicorn, including the strategy and successful prosecution of a famous trademark declaration for its flagship trademark.
- Assisted and advised a US-based toys, videogames and entertainment company with clearance and filing strategies for their trademarks.
- On a regular basis counsels a US-based pharmaceutical company regarding the handling, licensing, prosecution, transaction, defense and enforcement of their patent rights.
- Covered the absence of the legal director of a pharmaceutical company, gaining an important insight into the implication of intellectual property and specifically, patent protection from a pharmaceutical perspective.
- Assisted an Indian automobile company to secure patent protection for the inventions comprised within their line of products.
- Assisted a worldwide social network in takedown procedures concerning copyrighted material from its platform.
- Assisted clients on the recovery of hijacked domain names.
- Assisted a global entertainment company to negotiate copyright contracts with the talent and required production values involved in the production of ongoing TV series and movies.
- Best Intellectual Property Research Paper (2018) - “Copyrights legal framework applied to videogames in Mexico”
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Mexican Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AMPPI) - Member
- Fundación Paralife, Pro Bono Legal Assistance (2017-2018)
- Mexico (2018)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (Creative Industries and Their Connection with Intellectual Property) (2021)
- American Intellectual Property Association (Legal Aspects of Video Game Industry and E-Sports) (2021)
- Universidad Anáhuac (Bachelor of Law) (2018)
- Author, “Copyrights legal framework applied to videogames in Mexico,” Mexican Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property Blog, February 2019.