Robert is a member of Baker McKenzie's Australian Intellectual Property Practice Group. He led the Hong Kong office IP team of the Firm from 1990 until June 2002 and has been involved in cross-border intellectual property protection for more than 25 years.
Planning and executing IP protection and enforcement strategies is Robert's particular area of expertise, both regionally and in Australia. Robert also advises clients on all aspects of the protection, enforcement and exploitation of their IP rights in Australia and has been involved in several high profile cases before the Australian Courts.
Representative Legal Matters
- Devising and implementing cross-border anti-counterfeiting and anti-piracy programs for clients such as Louis Vuitton, Philips, Warner Bros, Lucasfilm, Sony, Nokia, Calvin Klein and Cisco.
- Advising Mars in relation to its dispute with Cadbury in relation to the right to use the colour purple in relation to confectionery and in relation to its look-alike packaging campaign.
- Representing Unilever in the leading Australian case in relation to the protection of slogans.
- Working with Aristocrat on an enforcement program against counterfeiters in Europe and Australia.
- Taking action in Australia to protect Warner Bros.' rights in its famous properties.
- Advising Intel on the protection of its INTEL, INTEL INSIDE, PENTIUM and other trade marks in Australia.
- Working with Hasbro to provide protection for its hottest toy products across Asia-Pacific as soon as they are released on to the market.
- Dealing with complex patent licensing issues in the medial and electronic industries.
- Recommended Practitioner, Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2012 - 2014
- "Best Lawyer - Intellectual Property" Best Lawyers, Australia 2013 -2014
- "Leading lawyer", Australian Legal Business "Guide to intellectual property firms", 2008
- "Robert Arnold is well regarded for his 'attention to detail on all aspects of litigation'", Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association - Member
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand - Member
- International Trademark Association - Member
- International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition - Member
- Pharmaceutical Trade Mark Group - Member
- Hong Kong (1985)
- New South Wales~Australia (1983)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1981)
- College of Law at Sydney (S.F.E.) (1979)
- University of Warwick (LL.B.) (1978)
- University of Grenoble (B.A.) (1977)
- Hong Kong