Richard V. Wells is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Intellectual Property Practice Group. Mr. Wells has over 15 years of experience practicing intellectual property law with a focus in the patent area, including due diligence, prosecution, counseling and litigation. Prior to rejoining the Firm, Mr. Wells served as intellectual property counsel for WesternGeco, a subsidiary of Schlumberger, in Oslo, Norway. In that role, Mr. Wells managed a global patent portfolio of several hundred patents and routinely advised on competitive decision making with an intellectual property angle.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a streaming media company in defending against patent infringement claims in the District of New Jersey.
- Representing an electronics retailer in defending against patent infringement claims in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Representing an oilfield services company in asserting multiple patents and trade secrets misappropriation in the Southern District of Texas.
- Successfully asserted inter partes review challenge resulting in a favorable settlement for a handset manufacturer.
- Successfully defended patent infringement claims brought against an electronics retailer at the International Trade Commission.
- Represented numerous entities in patent litigation actions in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Manage patent portfolios for numerous clients.
- Manage several patent due diligence matters for corporate transactions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Federal Circuit Bar Association - Member
- State Bar of Texas - Member
- United States Patent and Trademark Office - Member
- District of Columbia~United States (2014)
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office~United States (2002)
- Texas~United States (2001)
- University of Houston Law Center (J.D. cum laude) (2001)
- University of Texas at Austin (B.S. Mechanical Engineering) (1998)