Ayako Suga is a member of the Firm’s IP/IT/EC group in Tokyo. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, she worked for a major Japanese law firm, where she handled domestic and cross-border transactions and dispute resolution matters and advised on IP/IT law as well as antitrust, advertisement, privacy, and pharmaceutical regulations. Ms. Suga is a native Japanese speaker and is fluent in English.
Representative Legal Matters
- Researched the legal systems for protection of trade secrets in seven countries including Japan and reported the results for "The commissioned project of industry and economy in 2014 (research and study regarding protection of trade secrets)" of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.
- Represented clients in drafting and negotiation of domestic and cross-border IP licensing and other transactions (co-development, technology transfer, manufacture and sales outsourcing, franchising, IP assignment, software licensing, entertainment contracts, etc.).
- Conducted IP due diligence in M&A transactions targeting Japanese companies.
- Advised on domestic and international trademark applications and appeals against examiner’s decision of rejection.
- Advised on patent search and securing of freedom-to-operate opinion worldwide.
- Advised on defense against patent litigation filed by a non-practicing entity in the US.
- Advised on anti-counterfeiting investigations and measurements in Asia.\
- Represented a Japanese company in an international arbitration against a Chinese company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association - Member
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations - Member
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan-China Lawyers Interaction Association - Member
- Japan (2007)
- Stanford Law School (LL.M.) (2013)
- Legal Training and Research Institute (2007)
- Keio University (LL.B.) (2006)