Alexander Petsche is managing partner at Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG in Vienna. He worked with Bruckhaus Westrick Heller Löber as a trainee lawyer before transferring to Wolf Theiss, where he practiced until 2004. Alexander also has experience working for Draxler & Partner from 1997 to 1998. In addition to his practice, Alexander regularly lectures on professional negotiations at the Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration. He has authored about 80 publications.
Alexander advises clients in connection with the assertion of their claims before state courts and arbitral tribunals, particularly in matters related to construction and infrastructure projects, damage claims, distribution law and other corporate disputes. He also advises clients on the implementation of compliance systems, especially in the field of anti-corruption. Alexander has significant experience acting as an arbitrator and an accredited business mediator.
Representative Legal Matters
- Setting aside an arbitral award before state courts with an amount of dispute of more than EUR1 billion.
- Represented client in a dispute out of the erection of a sports stadium.
- Represented clients in numerous plant construction disputes.
- Represented a logistics company in a dispute in connection with the construction of ships.
- Represented a group of claimants in connection with financial investments.
- Represented numerous leading Austrian companies in its set-up of compliance programs.
- Best Law Firms for Dispute Resolution | International Arbitration, Highly recommended, Leaders League Austria 2022
- Best Law Firms for White collar crime, Excellent, Leaders League Austria 2022
- Best Law Firms for Commercial litigation, Highly recommended, Leaders League Austria 2022
- Dispute Resolution - Litigation, Chambers Global 2021-2023
- Best Lawyers in Austria 2019 and 2022 for franchise law, corporate law, litigation & arbitration, mediation and conflict resolution, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019 and 2022
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Austrian Federal Economic Chamber - Member of the Board of the International Arbitral Centre
- Austrian Arbitration Association (ArbAUT) - Member of the Board
- Czech Bar Association - Member
- German Institution of Arbitration (DIS) - Member
- Vienna Bar Association - Member
- Czech Republic (2003)
- Austria (2002)
- University of Vienna (Dr. iur.) (1999)
- College of Europe in Brugge (M.A.E.S.) (1996)
- University of Economics and Business Administration, Vienna (Dr.) (1996)
- Editor, "Whistleblowing & Internal Investigations - Praxiskommentar zur Whistleblowing-Richtlinie," LexisNexis ARD ORAC, 14 September 2021
- Contributor, Compliance für Unternehmen, Corporate Compliance, Kodex des Österreichischen Rechts, 3rd edition, publisher Univ. Prof. Dr. Werner Doralt, Compliance Unternehmen 2019/20
- Co-editor (with Karin Mair), Handbook Compliance, 3rd edition, August 2019
- Co-editor (with Christian Klausegger, Peter Klein, Florian Kremslehner, Nikolaus Pitkowitz), “Austrian Yearbook on International Arbitration 2018,” Manz, Stämpfli Verlag, 9.1.2018
- Author, “Compliance im Steuerrecht,” Compliance Praxis, 2013
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.