Joanna Ludlam is a partner in the Dispute Resolution team in the Firm's London office, where she leads the market-leading Regulatory, Public & Media law team and also co-leads the office's Compliance & Investigations Practice Group. At an international level, she co-chairs the Firm's Global Compliance & Investigations Steering Committee.
In 2016, Joanna was named as one of The Lawyer’s “Hot 100” for her practice, and is recognised by Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners.
Joanna advises clients in the areas of administrative and public law, procurement law, litigation and investigations. She has particular experience in sectors including media, financial services, healthcare, technology, pharmaceuticals and medical devices, professional services, and consumer goods. Joanna handles all kinds of high court litigation as well as investigations, including into issues of bribery, corruption and fraud. She advises clients, frequently at board-level, on regulatory compliance and crisis and reputation management.
Joanna focuses on bringing practical solutions to client issues, and designed the Firm’s innovative Investigations Academy, a comprehensive and state-of-the-art training programme for investigations practitioners within the Firm team and our clients'.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for the BBC Trust as their sole advisers on public law and regulatory matters and reputation management, including advising the Trust in connection with the high-profile inquiries into Jimmy Savile and the Leveson inquiry, and on matters pertaining to its coverage of the 2015 General Election.
- Representing the Criminal Bar Association in its high-profile judicial review challenge to the Legal Service's Board's Quality Assurance Scheme for Advocates. This ultimately went all the way to the Supreme Court and resulted in the making of new law.
- Advising Genomic Health on the commercialisation (market access) of its genomic assay for breast cancer, Oncotype DX, in the UK market, including in connection with their contract negotiations with NHS England and a potential review of NHSE's commissioning decision.
- Representing two high-profile law firms in respect of separate SRA regulatory investigations into their professional conduct.
- Acting for a global investment bank investigating whistleblower allegations relating to suspected bribery, money laundering and fraud being committed in Indonesia and Singapore.
- Representing the Bank of England in relation to claims brought in the English High Court against another bank by its shareholders.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1997)
- College of Law at London (1995)
- King's College London, UK (1994)
- University of Paris I (Pantheon-Sorbonne) (1994)
Jo is an English qualified solicitor-advocate.