Oil, Gas & Petrochemicals
Low oil prices are driving evolution in the industry, with the current conditions leading to an increase in market consolidation and risk-sharing contracts. Distressed asset sales and restructuring issues are also becoming more prevalent. This is changing the ways companies seek capital, with private equity firms raising capital for new investments into the industry.
We are a leader in multinational oil and gas pipelines and liquefied natural gas projects markets, with vast experience of completing complex cross-border projects. Our industry expertise includes the full range of oil and gas transactions throughout the entire value chain, from upstream to downstream, including production, distribution and trading.
We help develop, finance and sell facilities. We bridge the gap between developed and developing countries' legal systems. Whether it's time charters, ship construction contracts, permits or consents for receiving terminals, our lawyers understand the complexities of oil and gas contracts and work with you to stay ahead of the curve. We help with the following project-related issues:
- Project development
- Project finance
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Climate change and environment
The shale gas boom in the United States and around the world is transforming the liquefied natural gas (LNG) industry. The continued development of shale gas plays in the United States will likely create additional LNG export opportunities, with many existing import terminals embarking on major modification projects to add export capacity.
We have the legal experience to help you execute your LNG project on time and on budget. We have substantial experience with all aspects of the entire project life cycle, including:
- Structuring the deal, including domestic and international tax components; integrated buy sell model or unbundled tolling model
- Financing structures and bankability of financing structures
- Providing legal advice regarding the EPC and construction of LNG export and import infrastructure, including terminals, pipelines, roads, power facilities, reclaimed land, and temporary housing
- Addressing maritime law issues related to LNG carriers
- Advising on sale and purchase agreements for LNG, gas and interests in LNG-related companies
Unparalleled local knowledge
We have offices in the world's biggest exporter of LNG (Qatar) and the world's largest importer of LNG (Japan). We also have offices throughout Asia and three offices in Africa, where many new LNG opportunities are emerging. Through this extensive network of offices and professionals, we have built an LNG team that is well-positioned to offer local perspectives on various LNG markets, as well as offer advice on the complicated regulatory and tax issues facing LNG deals in different jurisdictions.
Our clients include international oil companies and national oil companies that are major LNG players around the world. Working with these companies has given our LNG team a unique perspective on the most critical elements of LNG deals, and we know how to get the deal done. Moreover, our LNG team works with the Oil & Gas, Infrastructure and Project Finance teamss to meet the full range of our LNG clients’ needs.
The globalization of the oil and gas industry and new market trends mean that National Oil Companies (NOCs) are facing increasing challenges and new commercial and jurisdictional demands on their business models and strategies.
Lawyers in our Global Oil and Gas Practice Group have been advising some of the world’s largest NOCs for over 50 years. We have a deep understanding of the issues faced by NOCs and how an NOC's perspective will often differ from international oil companies or independents.
We have a track record of advising NOCs across a range of their most critical activities, including:
- LNG project development and LNG sales
- Cross border pipeline development
- Refineries and petrochemical development
- International oil and gas sales
- Company acquisitions involving assets in multiple jurisdictions
Our Firm has a global practice with particularly strong capabilities in the following areas, which are increasingly part and parcel of major transactions in the industry:
- Corporate, public company M&A and tax driven reorganizations
- Competition and antitrust
- International tax planning
- Compliance (both trade and bribery compliance)
- Investment protection
Hydraulic fracturing and horizontal drilling have served as catalysts in the current US shale oil and gas boom. This shale oil and gas revolution in America has led to the prospect of exploration in Latin America, China, India, Australia, the UK, Poland, Spain, Germany and other European and Asian countries.
Our lawyers have a comprehensive understanding of the issues and opportunities in the shale market that mean the most to your success. When you work with our oil and gas team, you also benefit from the support of our wide network of practices that provide an interdisciplinary team approach to transactions and problem solving.
Our lawyers are licensed to practice in several of the key US shale play states, including Texas, Pennsylvania and North Dakota, while we offer legal services in the following areas related to unconventional resource plays:
- Acquisitions and Divestitures
- Joint Venture Agreements
- Operating Agreements
- Operational and Land Issues
- Regulatory and Environment
- Surface and Mineral Owner Disputes
- Environmental Issues
- Pipeline Issues
- Tax Issues
- Advice on Day-to-Day Operations, Title Matters, etc.