Kim Hock Ang is a principal in Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow's Finance & Projects Team, and a member of the Global Energy, Mining and Infrastructure Steering Committee. He focuses on major infrastructure project development and energy projects development (including LNG), from the inception stage where the consortium is formed and investment structure is designed, to the project documentation, financing and sale of such brownfield asset post commercial operation date. Kim Hock has acted in several award-winning projects such as the Sarulla Geothermal Power Project. It is the largest single-contract geothermal power project in the world, and it won Finance Deal of the Year (Project) at the 2015 American Lawyer Asia Legal Awards, among other accolades.
Kim Hock focuses on the development and financing of greenfield infrastructure and petrochemical and energy projects (particularly LNG), as well as the acquisition and disposal of brownfield project assets. He advises on mining and commodities contracts, project documents such as construction, procurement routes, EPC and EPCM contracts, operation and maintenance contracts, offtake contracts, and equity-related contracts such as joint venture agreements. He acts in a wide variety of financing transactions, project and trade finance, and restructurings.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for a sponsor on the acquisition of, and subsequent construction, development and maintenance arrangements of a 150MW wind power project (Cattle Hill Wind Farm) in Central Highlands of Tasmania, Australia.
- Acting for the sponsors and lenders on the development and financing of a number of power projects in Indonesia, including the acquisition of Asahan hydropower project and the subsequent deferred payment financing for the construction of the power plant, Rajamandala (first hydro power project without a government guarantee, financed by JBIC and Mizuho with a MIGA guarantee), Hasang (39 MW), Batang Toru (510 MW) and the expansion of the gas-fired Sengkang IPP in Indonesia and financing for the related PSC company in Indonesia in relation to the gas field supplying gas to the IPP. The Hasang hydropower project was awarded the 2016 IJGlobal Asia Pacific Hydro Project of the Year.
- Acting for Sembcorp and their local partner on the development and financing of the 400MW Sirajganj dual-fuel greenfield power project in Bangladesh. This deal was awarded the IJGlobal 2017 Asia Pacific Power Project of the Year.
- Advising Newcom and Softbank on the 50MW Tsetsii Wind Farm in Mongolia, including leading the team on the finalisation of the project documents and on the limited recourse financing by JICA and EBRD (Asia Pacific Deal of the Year - Wind by IJGlobal Awards 2016).
- Advising PowerChina on the development of a 135MW gas-fired power project in Kyaukphyu, Myanmar which involves the drafting and negotiation of the PPA, Concession Agreement and land lease agreement.
- Advising on the development and financing of a number of large-scale gas-fired power plants in Thailand, including Kaeng Khoi 2 (for the lenders), Gulf Nong Saeng (1600 W), Gulf U-Thai (1600 MW), Khanom 4 (930 MW). The Gulf Nong Saeng and Gulf U-Thai deals were awarded the Asia- Pacific Power Deal of the Year in 2011 and 2012 by Asian MENA and Project Finance International, respectively.
- Advised the lenders on the approximately USD 188 million project financing to part finance the development, construction, operation and maintenance of a MUDA Riser Platform (MRP) and a 63 km sub-sea pipeline from the MRP to the border of the Malaysian-Thailand Joint Development Area and Malaysian waters by Trans-Thai (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd.
- Acting for LNG importers in Asia in relation to the negotiation and finalization of a significant number of long term multi-billion LNG sale and purchase contracts with various international oil majors, independents and trading houses.
- Acting for sponsors, bidders and lenders on a number of PPP projects in Singapore, including Sembcorp, in relation to its successful bid for the right to develop the Changi NEWater plant tendered by the Singapore Public Utilities Board on a DBOO basis, a European multinational in tender for the development of a water desalination plant located on Jurong Island in Singapore to be implemented under a design-build-own-operate scheme, and a bidder in the 6th Singapore waste to energy project in Singapore.
- Advised on a number of petrochemical projects, including the development, construction and project financing of the Jurong Aromatics plant on Jurong Island; the lenders in the project financing facility to MTP HPPO Manufacturing Co., Ltd. in 2011 for the development of a hydrogen peroxide to propylene oxide plant in Map Ta Phut, Rayong Province, Thailand, and acting for the Mandated Lead Arrangers on the USD 400 million project financing for the development, construction and operation of a 200,000 metric tonnes per annum Acrylonitrile production facility and an associated 70,000 metric tonnes per annum Methyl Methacrylate Monomer production facility at Map Ta Phut, Rayong, Thailand, developed by PTT Asahi. This deal was named Asia Pacific Petrochemical Deal of the Year for 2008 by Project Finance International.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Singapore
- Singapore Academy of Law
- Singapore (2006)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B., Second Class Hons, Upper Division) (2005)
- Hong Kong
Baker & McKenzie Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.