Benjamín leads Baker McKenzie's Energy, Mining & Infrastructure Practice Group in Mexico. He is highly regarded by IFLR and is listed as a recommended lawyer in Who’s Who Legal for oil, gas, and project finance in Mexico. Benjamin was also named by Legal 500 and Chambers Latin America as one of the country's leading lawyers in the energy and natural resources area. For several years, he has been acknowledged by Petróleo & Energía as one of the 100 leaders in Mexico's energy industry and serves in its Editorial Board.
Benjamín is Vice President of the Energy Committee in AmCham Mexico. In addition, he has worked as professor in Energy and Sustainability Law at Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León and in Energy Law at Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juarez, and has served in the Editorial Board of Reforma newspaper. Benjamin is a member of Potentia (private oil and energy business club), an Advisory Board member GRI, Chair of the Mexican Chapter of ISME (International Society for Mexican Energy) and a member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN).
Benjamín handles all legal matters related to the development and construction of real estate, mining, infrastructure, and major projects. His career includes advising clients on the development and construction of projects relating to oil, natural gas, water, waste, railroad, ports, airports, highways, LPG, LNG, biofuels, energy efficiency, electricity, and public bids called by Pemex, CFE, and other Mexican governmental entities.
He has represented clients before the regulatory authorities and agencies in matters regarding permitting for energy projects; advised clients on maritime and navigation matters, due diligence, development, drafting and negotiation of contracts and financing, as well as regulatory issues in connection with the sale, acquisition, leasing, subleasing, rights of way, construction, maritime transportation, trusts, insurance, utilities, environmental and ejido matters in connection with energy, hospitality (tourism), residential, mining, and industrial projects. His professional experience also includes project financing, corporate law, mergers and acquisitions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised ENGIE Mexico in the acquisition of a wind power project with a capacity of 145 MW and the prequalification process before CENACE under the long term auction SLP-1/2016.
- Advised PEMEX regarding an arbitration award issued by the ICC International Arbitration Court to solve the dispute of a contract entered into by Pemex Refinación and Conproca for the reconfiguration and modernization of a refinery in Mexico.
- Advised Anadarko Petroleum Corporation in connection with its entry in the Mexican oil & gas upstream sector, as well as its participation in the Round 1 public tenders called by the Mexican National Hydrocarbons Commission for the award of hydrocarbons exploration and production contracts, including the preparation of the pre-qualification documents and requirements.
- Advised Valero Services Inc. in connection with the preparation and negotiation of terms and conditions to contract firm storage capacity of liquid petroleum products in three new built storage terminals to be located in Veracruz, Puebla and Mexico.
- Advised First Energy Bank/MENAdrill Investment Company in connection with the lease of various maritime oil rigs to PEMEX Exploración y Producción.
- Represented INPEX Corporation in the Round 1 and TRION Farmouts public tenders called by the Mexican National Hydrocarbons Commission for the award of hydrocarbons exploration and production contracts, including the preparation of the pre-qualification documents and requirements.
- Advised ATCO Group in connection with its entry in the Mexican energy market, as well as with the preparation of the bid proposal submitted before CFE for the award of a natural gas transportation service agreement, including the development, construction, operation and maintenance of a pipeline, as well as the procurement of an open access natural gas transportation permit from the CRE, interconnection agreements with PEMEX and filings before the Mexican Antitrust Commission.
- Advised Gas del Litoral (a joint venture between Total and Shell) for (i) the purchase of LNG and (ii) sale of natural gas to CFE supplied from a LNG regasification plant located in Altamira, Mexico, (iii) the purchase and swap of natural gas with CFE and (iv) regulatory advise before the National Center for the Control of Natural Gas (CENAGAS) and the Energy Regulatory Commission (CRE) for the transfer of capacity rights in the Mexican pipeline transportation system.
- Advised to Iberoamericana de Hidrocarburos, S.A. de C.V. (a company of Grupo Cobra) in connection with review, negotiation and execution of a (i) Joint Operating Agreement (JOA) to be entered with PEMEX; and an (ii) Exploration and Production Contract (E&P Contract) to be entered with the National Hydrocarbons Commission (CNH).
- Advised and assisted GDF Suez and Mitsubishi Corporation in connection with the preparation of the bid proposal submitted before CFE for the development, construction, operation and maintenance of a power plant with capacity of 294 MW.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
- Petróleo & Energía Magazine - Editorial Board
- Energy Committee of the American Chamber in Mexico (Chair) - Vice President
- Fundación Paso del Norte para la Salud y Bienestar - Honorary Board Member
- Mexico (1998)
- Universidad Corporativa Unión Fenosa (Diploma Power Distribution and Generation Business) (2003)
- Club Superior de la Energía (Business Course Energy) (2003)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M.) (2001)
- Tecnológico de Monterrey (M.C.L.) (1998)