David Wu is a special counsel in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office and a member of the Firm's Intellectual Property and Technology Practice Group. He specializes in international brand management and protection, and has assisted some of the world’s most valuable brands with their trademark portfolios. David has also advised on high-value commercial IP transactions and regulatory issues, and successfully litigated IP disputes in various jurisdictions.
David is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb) and sits on the Council of The Hong Kong Institute of Trade Mark Practitioners (HKITMP). David is also a member of Baker McKenzie Hong Kong’s LGBT Committee.
David has lived and worked in China, England, Hong Kong and Singapore, and is effectively bilingual in English and Mandarin.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised many of the world’s most valuable brands on the use and protection of their trade marks in Asia and worldwide.
- Advised Starbucks on its USD 6 billion manufacture and distribution deal in China.
- Advised one of China’s leading travel agency on its USD 318 million global joint venture.
- Advised one of the world’s biggest IT companies on its global strategy in relation to patent infringement and licensing disputes.
- Advised a well-known credit card company on its entry into the China market.
- Represented two of the world’s largest manufacturers of automotive components in related trade mark infringement and passing off actions involving counterfeit imports from China, in both the High Court and the Court of Appeal of Singapore.
- Represented the world’s largest fast-food franchise in both a trade mark infringement action and a trade mark opposition action.
- Advised international clients on IP issues relating to localisation for Chinese-speaking markets.
- Advised on various regulatory issues in China, including but not limited to issues concerning bribery, foreign remittance, advertising standards and pharmaceutical products.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Law Society of Hong Kong - Member
- The Law Society of Singapore - Member
- The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Member
- The Hong Kong Institute of Trade Mark Practitioners - Council Member
- Hong Kong (2021)
- Singapore (2011)
- University of Manchester (LLB)
- Co-author of “The Copyright Tribunal in Singapore: A New Lease of Life?”, pg 340 Intellectual Property 2010 (Digital Guide), www.executiveview.com
- Presented on “Trademark Use and the Internet” at the INTA Roundtable in Singapore on 21 June 2013
- Author of “Fundamental difference between copyrights and patents”, The Straits Times, 11 October 2013
- Co-author of “The Trademark of China’s Progress”, The Wall Street Journal, 24 October 2013
- Co-author of “China’s New Trademark Law - Another Step in the Journey”, Managing IP, 6 December 2013