Sue Wan Wong is a partner in the Corporate, Commercial & Securities Practice Group. She was recognised as Woman Lawyer of the Year in 2018 by Asian Legal Business. This follows her recognition in 2015 by Asian Legal Business in their inaugural 'The ALB 40 Under 40', a list which showcases the brightest young legal minds in Asia.
Sue Wan was also named as Rising Star for Corporate and M&A by IFLR1000 in 2018 and 2019. In the past, she was also named Leading Lawyer in Labour & Employment, Insurance & Reinsurance and Mergers & Acquisitions in 2008 and 2009, and was also recognised as Leading Lawyer in Insurance & Reinsurance and Mergers & Acquisitions from 2010 to 2012 by Asialaw.
Sue Wan is a member of the US-ASEAN Business Council (Financial Services Committee) and she was the former Secretary of the Fintech Association of Malaysia.
Sue Wan has undertaken numerous transactions relating to initial public offerings, restructuring, mergers and acquisitions including take-overs of public listed companies. Sue Wan has depth to her mergers and acquisitions experience given her role in advising companies in the acquisition and divestment of interests in financial institutions and capital market intermediaries, with such deals being consummated through share deals, schemes of transfers and also those that extend to triggering general offers.
Her practice includes advising on a suite of financial services regulatory matters, including on establishment of financial service providers, regulatory enquiries, marketing of financial products and financial services compliance. She engages and advises businesses involved in the innovation, investment and development of financial technology (Fintech) products and services. Sue Wan has vast experience in advising clients at the forefront of innovation, helping to navigate the web of regulatory and compliance challenges, and to facilitate partnerships between industry players and regulators.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Touch 'N Go Sdn. Bhd (TNG), a subsidiary of the CIMB group, on its entry into a joint venture with the Ant Financial Services Group (Ant Financial), the parent company of Alipay. The JV represents Ant Financial's first equity investment into Malaysia. The JV led to the creation of a world class financial services platform and payments provider which is expected to revolutionize the financial services industry in Malaysia, and in particular, domestic and cross border payments. TNG is Malaysia's largest electronic payment system operator, and Alipay is the world's leading digital financial services provider headquartered in China.
- Acted for BIMB Holdings Berhad in connection with the acquisition of a 49% stake in Bank Islam Berhad from the Dubai Financial Group LLC and Lembaga Tabung Haji for a total purchase consideration of approximately MYR2.8 billion. Our corporate team advised on the M&A aspects of the transaction as well as the MYR1.8 billion rights issuance, while our finance team advised Bank Islam as lead arranger on the MYR1.7 billion sukuk issuance, therefore valuing the entire deal at approximately MYR6 billion. The deal was named the “Equity Deal of the Year” in 2013 by Islamic Finance News and the “Equity Market Deal of the Year” by the 2014 Asian Legal Business Malaysia Law Awards.
- Acted as counsel to Kirin Holdings Company, Limited (“Kirin”) in relation to: (i) Kirin’s SGD2.7 billion offer for the food and beverage (“F&B”) business of Fraser & Neave, Limited (“F&N”), a leading real estate and food and beverage conglomerate in Singapore and Malaysia, pursuant to the SGD13.1 billion bid by OUE Baytown Pte Ltd for F&N; and (ii) the sale of Kirin’s 14.76% stake in F&N to Thai-owned TCC Assets Limited for SGD2.03 billion. The transaction gave rise to a number of novel legal issues, and is one of the largest takeovers in the history of Southeast Asia, and one of the largest consumer foods deals ever in the region. The contested takeover of F&N won the 2014 IFLR M&A Deal of the Year Award.
- Advised Zurich Insurance Company Ltd ("Zurich") on its MYR525 million acquisition of 100% of the equity interests in MAA Takaful Berhad from MAA Group Berhad and Solidarity Group Holding BSC (Closed). This transaction represents Zurich's maiden entry into the Malaysian takaful market.
- Represented Generali Asia N.V. ("Generali") on its MYR355.8 million acquisition of 49% of the issued and paid-up share capital of Multi-Purpose Insurans Bhd ("MPIB") from Multi-Purpose Capital Holdings Bhd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of MPHB Capital Berhad. This acquisition represents Generali's maiden entrance into the Malaysian insurance industry, placing itself among the top ten property & casualty insurers in the country.
- Advised Morgan Stanley & Co. International PLC in connection with a placement by Seadrill Ltd of approximately 490 million ordinary shares, amounting to 8.2% of the capital of SapuraKencana Petroleum Berhad. Maybank Investment Bank Berhad acted as a co-bookrunner in the placement.
- Represented the Singapore arm of a leading professional services provider ("Client") on licensing and regulatory issues in connection with its provision of corporate finance advice in Malaysia, which includes the provision of advice pursuant to request from Malaysian clients to contract with the Client and the ability of the Client's secondees to its subsidiary in Malaysia to provide corporate finance advice to clients in Malaysia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Malaysian Bar
- Kuala Lumpur Bar
- Persatuan Siswazah Wanita Malaysia
- Malaysia (2003)
- Oxford University (Bachelor's Degree Civil Law)
- University of Malaya (Bachelor's Degree Law, Honors)