Stephanie Vaccari serves as co-chair of Baker McKenzie’s Toronto Women’s Networking Group and is spearheading the Toronto office's Luxury and Fashion Group. In addition, she is an active member of Baker McKenzie’s global Intellectual Property Webinar Series and the Toronto office’s Social Media Initiative. She mainly practices in the areas of intellectual property law — including trade marks, copyright, patents and industrial designs — IP litigation, as well as related commercial litigation. Stephanie graduated from the University of Western Ontario Law School and received a Bachelor of Sciences degree (Biology Specialist) from the University of Toronto, where she graduated with distinction.
Stephanie advises industry clients on a broad range of IP-related matters. She has extensive trade mark-related experience, has assisted global clients with worldwide trade mark portfolios, and represented them in opposition and cancellation proceedings. She has also participated in a variety of complex lawsuits dealing with, among others, trade mark and copyright infringement, patent infringement and validity, Internet issues, licensing issues, unfair competition and passing off.
Representative Legal Matters
Acted on numerous trade mark oppositions, including oppositions protecting famous marks.
Acted on trade mark passing-off actions involving large confectionery companies.
Acted on trade mark infringement action between two large US and Canadian communication companies.
Acted on copyright infringement action against former employee.
Acted on patent infringement and validity cases involving large generic and innovator pharmaceutical corporations.
Acted on international arbitration between a US pharmaceutical company and a university involving a $30 million patent license dispute.
- Leader in Trademark Law, World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR), 2017
- Winner, Intellectual Property – Trademarks in Ontario, Client Choice Awards, 2016-2017
- Ranked, Individuals: enforcement and litigation, World Trademark Review 1000, 2016
- Ranked, Individuals: prosecution and strategy, World Trademark Review 1000, 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- INTA - National Committee Member
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group - Member
- Fashion International Group of Toronto - Night of Stars Committee
- University of Toronto's Compulsory Moot Court Competition - Judge
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Ontario~Canada (1997)
- University of Western Ontario (LL.B.) (1995)
- University of Toronto (B.S. Honours) (1992)