Michael Treis heads the Firm's Intellectual Property practice in Switzerland. He advises on all aspects of IP protection and acts for companies before the Swiss courts and in proceedings before EUIPO and the EU courts. Michael has written on numerous related issues and teaches IP law at the University of St. Gallen. He began his career as an IP attorney of Baker McKenzie in 1989. He is ranked by Chambers Global 2016, Legal 500, WTR 2016 and MIP 2016 as a leading IP attorney in Switzerland and won the Client Choice award of Lexology in 2017.
Michael has a wide range of experience in trademark, copyright, design and unfair competition issues and his practice covers IP advisory, prosecution and litigation. He advises a range of Swiss and global clients such as Apple, BAT, Cisco, Dior, LVMH, Richemont, Roche and Swatch Group. Michael and his team of IP lawyers also coordinate the global IP needs of several Swiss companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for Richemont/IWC in litigation related to trademark/competition law, obtained landmark decision improving the protection for well-known brands.
- Represented a leading Swedish car manufacturer in a cutting-edge CTM trademark case against a Chinese automobile group before the Court of Justice of the EU.
- Advised a global food company an complex IP restructuring required by a new European procurement and distribution structure.
- Negotiated TM coexistence agreement for Sulzer, thereby settling global dispute.
- Acting for Swarovski in trademark, design and copyright litigation in Switzerland and coordinating their global IP protection.
- Negotiated a world-wide trademark co-existence agreement for a leading financial institution, ending numerous disputes around the world.
- Advised British American Tobacco in relation to trademark and other IP matters in Switzerland and acting for BAT in trademark litigation.
- Represented Este Lauder in trademark litigation in Switzerland, obtained landmark decision for key brand.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- INGRES Institut für Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property & Copyright (GRUR)
- MARQUES (The Association of European Trademark Proprietors)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Switzerland (1996)
- Germany (1988)
- University of Munich (Dr. iur.) (1990)
- University of Munich (Bar Exam) (1988)
- University of Munich (Referendar Exam) (1985)
- University of Lausanne (1983)
Baker & McKenzie Zurich and Baker & McKenzie Geneva are each members of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.