Michael Treis is Senior Counsel with the Firm's Intellectual Property Team in Switzerland. He advises on all aspects of IP protection and acts for companies before the Swiss courts. Michael has written on numerous related issues and has taught IP law at the University of St. Gallen. He began his career as an IP attorney of Baker McKenzie in 1989 and built up its Swiss IP practice from 1993 - 2022. He is ranked by Chambers Global and Legal 500 as a leading IP attorney in Switzerland.
Michael has a wide range of experience in trademark, copyright, design and unfair competition issues and his practice covers IP advisory, prosecution and litigation. He advises a range of Swiss and global clients such as Apple, BAT, Dior and LVMH.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for Swiss watch company in litigation related to trademark/competition law, obtained landmark decision improving the protection for well-known brands.
- Represented a leading Swedish car manufacturer in a EUTM trademark case against a Chinese automobile group before the Court of Justice of the EU.
- Advised a global food company on a complex IP restructuring project.
- Acted for Swiss luxury goods company in trademark, design and copyright litigation in Switzerland and coordinated their global IP protection strategy.
- Negotiated a global trademark co-existence agreement for a leading financial Institution.
- Advised leading company of the tobacco industry in relation to trademark, design and distribution matters in Switzerland.
- Represented US-based cosmetics group in trademark litigation in Switzerland, obtained landmark decision.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- INGRES Institut für Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property & Copyright (GRUR)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- University of Munich (Dr. iur.) (1990)
- University of Munich (Bar Exam) (1988)
- University of Lausanne (1983)
Baker & McKenzie Zurich and Baker & McKenzie Geneva are each members of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.