Seiji Tomimoto is a counsel of the Corporate/M&A Practice Group at Baker McKenzie's Tokyo office. He has worked on a variety of domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, joint ventures, corporate reorganization, employment matters, and commercial contracts. Seiji has experience working as in-house counsel for Morgan Stanley, where he assisted with internal legal matters and M&A transactions. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he worked as an associate at a prominent multinational law firm headquartered in London in their Tokyo and London offices. Seiji was seconded to Baker McKenzie's Istanbul office (Esin Attorney Partnership) between January 2016 and August 2017. He serves as the head of the Firm's Japan-Turkey Desk.
In relation to M&A and corporate matters, Seiji advises on the Companies Act, TOB regulations, the Data Protection Act and the FEFTL. He acts for various Japanese and non-Japanese clients on employment issues, such as redundancies and dismissals, and advises on consultation procedures in connection with company splits. He also assists Japanese companies operating in developing countries, including Turkey and other Middle Eastern countries, in developing global strategies and forecasting risks.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as the lead associate in representing Marubeni Corporation in its acquisition of 49% of the shares of Turkey-based Temsa Is Makinalari Imalat Pazarlama ve Satis A.S.
- Acted as the lead associate in representing Hitachi, Ltd. in its acquisition of 75% of the shares of Kurt & Kurt, a Turkish medical device manufacturer and healthcare services provider.
- Acted as the lead associate in representing Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. in its acquisition of BCS, a Turkish broadcasting equipment business, as a consolidated subsidiary.
- Acted as the lead associate in representing a major Turkish home appliance manufacturer in its potential acquisition of a major Japanese home appliance manufacturer.
- Represented Acibadem Healthcare Group, a Turkish healthcare institution, in its acquisition of a hospital business in Bulgaria from Tokushukai Group.
- Advised various Japanese corporations considering Turkish market entry on the establishment of companies, branch offices and representative offices, as well as the formation of joint ventures.
- Advised various Japanese corporations operating in Turkey on labor issues.
- Advised various Japanese corporations operating in Turkey on agency and distributorship agreements.
- Advised Japanese financial institutions operating in Turkey on financial regulations.
- Advised Japanese corporations operating in Turkey on exit procedures including corporate liquidation and the closing of representative offices.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-ni Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan (2007)
- The University of Tokyo (Executive Management Program) (2018)
- The University of Tokyo (LLB) (2004)
- Co-author, "Legal Considerations for Doing Business in Egypt," Commercial Law A2Z, DAI‐ICHI HOKI CO.,LTD., March 2018, Language: Japanese
- Co-author, "Bankruptcy Laws and Corporate Takeover Laws in Germany: Civil and criminal liabilities imposed on boards of directors in the event of worsening business conditions and hostile takeovers," Weekly Financial Affairs, Kinzai Institute for Financial Affairs, Inc., May 2013, Language: Japanese
- Co-author, "World Legal & Business Guide No. 21 France," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, December 2012, Language: Japanese
- Author, "International Contracts" (ongoing email newsletter), Dai-Ichi Hoki Co., Ltd., Language: Japanese
- Author, "Corporate Legal Practice A-to-Z" (discontinued email newsletter), Dai-Ichi Hoki Co., Ltd., Language: Japanese