Seiji Tomimoto is a member of the Corporate/M&A Practice Group in Baker McKenzie's Tokyo office. He has worked on a variety of domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, joint ventures, employment matters, and commercial contracts. Seiji has experience working as in-house counsel for Morgan Stanley, where he assisted ininternal legal matters and M&A transactions. Prior to joining the Firm, he worked as an associate in the London and Tokyo offices of a London-based multinational law firm. Seiji was seconded to Istanbul with Esin Attorney Partnership between January 2016 and August 2017. He serves as the head of the Firm's Japan -Turkey Desk.
In relation to M&A and corporate matters, Seiji advises on the Companies Act, takeover bid regulations, the Data Protection Act and the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Law (FEFTL). He acts for various Japanese and non-Japanese clients on employment issues, such as redundancies and dismissals, and advises on consultation procedures in connection with company splits. He also assists Japanese companies operating in developing countries, including Turkey and other Middle Eastern countries, in developing global strategies and forecasting risks.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted as the lead associate in representing a Japanese trading and investment company in its acquisition of 49% of the shares of a Turkey-based construction equipment and machinery company.
- Acted as the lead associate in representing a Japanese multinational infrastructure and business solutions company in its acquisition of 75% of the shares of a Turkish medical device manufacturer and healthcare services provider.
- Acted as the lead associate in representing a semiconductor manufacturing systems company in its acquisition of a Turkish broadcasting equipment business, as a consolidated subsidiary.
- Acted as the lead associate in representing a major Turkish home appliance manufacturer in its potential acquisition of a major Japanese home appliance manufacturer.
- Represented Acibadem Healthcare Group, a Turkish healthcare institution, in its acquisition of a hospital business in Bulgaria from Tokushukai Group.
- Advised various Japanese corporations considering Turkish market entry on the establishment of companies, branch offices and representative offices, as well as the formation of joint ventures.
- Advised various Japanese corporations operating in Turkey on labor issues.
- Advised various Japanese corporations operating in Turkey on agency and distributorship agreements.
- Advised Japanese financial institutions operating in Turkey on financial regulations.
- Advised Japanese corporations operating in Turkey on exit procedures including corporate liquidation and the closing of representative offices.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-ni Tokyo Bar Association - Member