Oleksiy Stolyarenko is the Head of the IT/TMT industry group in the Kyiv office. A counsel focusing on complex IP/IT, copyright, trademarks, patents, domain names, internet & technology matters (including protection of privacy & information), Oleksiy is well versed in issues related to technology transactions, start-ups, innovative services and products. He represents clients before the courts of Ukraine in trademark and patent litigation matters and carries out anti-piracy/anti-counterfeiting campaigns.
Oleksiy joined Kyiv office of Baker McKenzie in 2008 from the State Department of Intellectual Property of Ukraine, where he worked in the copyright division.
He frequently participates in the Firm`s Pro Bono projects and was awarded with the Firm`s RED award in 2015.
Oleksiy Stolyarenko practices on all aspects of intellectual property, information technology, personal data protection, consumer protection, e-commerce and advertising law.
He has extensive experience guiding clients through IP and IT law challenges in the IT, consumer electronics, media, wine and spirits, confectionery, food, and beverage, pharma, FMCG, chemical production and banking industries in Ukraine.
Representative Legal Matters
Advising a luxury car producer on data privacy, telecom and regulatory issues in connection with the introduction of Connected Cars project and expansion of this project to Ukraine.
Advising a multinational IT Company on telecom and regulatory clearance of new services launched in Ukraine.
Advising a multinational Consumer Electronics Producer on product compliance and distribution issues in Ukraine.
Representing a major bank in high profile litigation case over the use of the client's designation by Ukrainian subsidiary with a large Ukrainian bank, one of the largest and state-owned banks in Ukraine.
Preparing, planning and executing anti-counterfeiting campaign to fight new counterfeit products for a major alcohol producer.
Successfully representing a major pharmaceutical company in a patent invalidation action.
Successfully designating a fashion magazine trademark, as well-known in Ukraine through the administrative procedure.
Advising a stock exchange company on regulatory, IP, data privacy issues in relation to the acquisition of the Ukrainian technology product company incorporated in Ukraine and the and the UK.
Advising a multinational Consumer Electronics Producer on Customs IP enforcement and arranging IP rights recordal at Customs Registry.
- Advising a global tobacco producer on data privacy compliance issues in Ukraine.
- Listed, Next Generation Lawyer in Intellectual Property, The Legal 500, 2017 - 2019
- Recognized, Notable Practitioner in Intellectual Property, Ukrainian Law Firms. A Handbook for Foreign Clients, 2015, 2016 and 2019
- Recognized, Notable Practitioner in IT law, Ukrainian Law Firms. A Handbook for Foreign Clients, 2017 - 2019
- Best Lawyer in Intellectual Property, Best Lawyers, 2018 - 2019
- Best Lawyer in Intellectual Property, Yuridichna Gazeta 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Chamber of Commerce in Ukraine (ACC) - Co-Chair, Intellectual Property Committee
- The International Trademark Association (INTA)
- The European Business Association (EBA)
- Ukraine (2016)
- Ukraine (Trademark / Patent Attorney) (2014)
- New York~United States (2011)
- Louisiana State University (LLM) (2010)
- State Institute of Intellectual Property (Master of Intellectual Property) (2008)
- Yaroslav Mudryi National Law University (Specialization on Law) (2005)
- New York
Publications & Presentations
- Speaker, WIPO-Ukraine Summer School on IP, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2018 and 2019