Hiroshi Sheraton's practice covers all aspects of intellectual property law with a particular emphasis on contentious patent and trade mark matters and life sciences. Much of his work is cross-border in nature. He regularly co-ordinates pan-European and global IP litigation and advises clients on international IP strategies for patent litigation and brand protection. He represents clients in the UKIPO, EPO, OHIM, the English Courts and the CJEU. He has experience of IP matters across Europe and has litigated IP cases in Germany, France, Spain, Italy, the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Luxembourg, the USA and Asia Pacific.
Although he has a first degree in biochemistry and molecular biology, he covers all areas of technology from pharmaceuticals/biotech products and agrochemicals to electronics and software.
Hiroshi is particularly involved at the interface between IP law and other legal disciplines such as EU competition law. He is currently involved in one of the first "reverse payment" patent settlement cases pending before the European Commission, and has been involved in some of the leading cases concerning "Euro-defences" to IP infringement and abusive assertion of IP rights. He also has experience advising on pharmaceutical regulatory issues where they interact with traditional IP rights such as matters concerning Supplementary Protection Certificates, data exclusivity and clinical trials. In the brand protection arena, Hiroshi assists several household name brands on enforcement and portfolio management issues especially in highly regulated industries such as alcohol beverages and online gaming.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented the CibaVision division of Novartis in global patent litigation against Johnson & Johnson concerning extended-wear contact lenses.
- Acted for Novartis Vaccines in multijurisdictional patent litigation against GSK Biologicals.
- Advised a market leading manufacturer in patent litigation concerning gel-foam polymer technology in several jurisdictions.
- Representing The Absolut Company in brand enforcement matters, including in English High Court proceedings.
- Representing a pharmaceutical company in defence of an allegation of breach of competition law in connection with a patent settlement agreement.
- Acting for Document Security Systems in its patent case brought against the European Central Bank in proceedings across Europe relating to anti-counterfeiting technology.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Intellectual Property Association - Member
- Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (ITMA) - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1999)
- Bristol University (Post Graduate Diploma Intellectual Property Law) (2000)
- College of Law (C.P.E.) (1997)
- College of Law (L.P.C.) (1997)
- Cambridge University (St. John's College) (M.A. Biochemistry/Molecular Biology) (1995)