Toby Patten is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Technology and Healthcare teams in Melbourne. He joined the Firm in March 2005.
Toby has more than 20 years' experience in technology, healthcare, privacy and intellectual property commercial law. In addition to his legal qualifications Toby holds a Bachelor of Science (Hons), majoring in biochemistry.
Representative Legal Matters
- Drafting and negotiating COVID vaccine technology licence and manufacturing agreements for a global vaccine supplier.
- Drafting and negotiating COVID vaccine supply agreements for supply to the Australian population.
- Providing Australian healthcare regulatory advice for multiple Australian and global pharmaceutical and medical device companies, including queries relating to registration, distribution, clinical trials, marketing and recall of medicines and devices and interactions with healthcare professionals.
- Negotiating long-term patent licensing within specified fields and territories as part of a global sale, and providing follow-up advice to resolve disputes over the enforcement of the licensed rights.
- Negotiating long-term licensing, marketing and royalty sharing arrangements between an Australian biotech developer and a global pharma licensee and promoter of product.
- Advising on legacy licensing arrangements following a sale of business.
- Conducting privacy gap analyses for numerous clients and the provision of detailed reports.
- Providing privacy advice for a range of local and international clients, including in relation to specific issues such as data breach notification, management of big data and product development.
- Drafting and negotiating IT outsourcing agreements for one the world's largest resources company for the outsourcing of data warehousing services to be provided across multiple jurisdictions.
- Negotiating Master Service Agreements for one of the Australian "big 4" banks, and associated systems integration projects across 7 Asian jurisdictions.
- Finalising complex technology based loyalty scheme projects with another of Australia's largest banks.
- Working with in-house commercial and IT procurement teams for domestic and multinational clients, including extended client secondments with technology clients.
- Advising on the drafting of template agreements for use by commercial professionals.
- Advising on the preparation and review of tender documentation.
- Assisting commercial teams in their negotiations with customers and suppliers, including deviations from standard terms and associated risk assessments, and preparing responses for commercial teams to send directly to customers/suppliers.
- Acritas Star lawyer
- Best Lawyers List - Information Technology Law and Commercial Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Certified Information Privacy Manager (IAPP CIPM)
- Victoria~Australia (1997)
- Bond University (LL.B., Hons) (1994)
- RMIT (BSc, Hons) (1991)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.