Sue is a partner in Baker McKenzie's IP, Data and Technology team based in London.
Sue specialises in major technology deals including cloud, outsourcing, digital transformation and development and licensing. She also advises on a range of legal and regulatory issues relating to the development and roll-out of new technologies including AI, blockchain/DLT, metaverse and crypto-assets.
Her IP and commercial experience includes drafting, advising on and negotiating a wide range of intellectual property and commercial agreements including IP licences and assignment agreements, long-term supply and distribution agreements. She also assists clients in preparing terms of business and related documentation for new business processes and offerings and coordinating global roll-outs.
Sue is also a key member of our transactional practice, providing strategic support on the commercial, technology and intellectual property aspects of M&A transactions and joint ventures, including advising on transitional services agreements and other key ancillary IP and commercial agreements.
Sue is ranked as a leading lawyer in Chambers for Information Technology & Outsourcing and Fintech Legal and in Legal500 for Commercial Contracts, IT & Telecoms, TMT and Fintech. Clients say of Sue "Sue is outstanding", "She is a really good and very committed lawyer", "Excellent…. Very capable, wouldn’t hesitate to use on IT/TMT/Outsourcing matters."
Sue was named in the Standout 35 of the Women in FinTech Powerlist 2020.
Sue's practice involves advising clients across a range of sectors including TMT, consumer goods and retail, financial services and IMT, acting for both customers and suppliers.
Sue regularly speaks and writes about the impact of emerging technologies including AI, metaverse and blockchain and crypto-assets.
Sue is co-chair of the FinTech practice in London and co-chair of the EMEA Financial Services Industry Group.
She is vice chair and a trustee of the Society for Computers and Law and founder and chair of the SCL Women in Tech Law network. Sue is also a member of the CBI Tech Council and the CBI's AI Working Group.
Representative Legal Matters
Technology and Digital
- Advising a digital platform on the international roll out of a new offering and related customer terms and payment services agreements.
- Advised a leading global advisory, broking and solutions company, on its strategic participation in a blockchain platform for marine insurance, including advising on the licence agreement with the platform provider.
- Advised a leading card scheme on its agreement with a UK bank for a new service offering, its standard terms for the offering and related compliance with EBA and PRA outsourcing rules
- Advised a Middle East investment company on its partnership with a global bank and technology provider to provide a new service offering to customers
- Advised a leading banking as a service provider on its standard services agreements, contracts with customers and compliance with outsourcing rules across a range of jurisdictions
- Advised a range of customers and service providers in the financial service sector on their cloud and outsourcing deals and partnership and consortia projects, including strategic projects involving digital transformation, AI and blockchain
- Advised various customers on merchant agreements, payment services agreements and related platform terms.
Cloud and Sourcing
- Advising a leading investment bank on a series of data centre services deals.
- Advised a leading Swiss investment bank on its global cloud deals with AWS and Microsoft.
- Advised a cloud vendor to the financial services sector in connection with SAAS agreements with various clients and product counselling support.
- Advised a global outsourcing provider on a series of IT outsourcing deals across the financial service sector.
- Advised Ahli United Bank on its acquisition of Citi’s entire consumer banking business in Bahrain.
- Advised S&P Global on the acquisition of Shades of Green business from Cicero.
- Advised Revolut on the acquisition of ePOS software provider Nobly.
- Advised Tencent on its investment in UK digital bank Monzo.
- Advised Affirm on its acquisition of a buy now pay later company.
- Advised Bank of China on its proposed acquisition of a European investment banking and wealth management institution.
- Advised a technology company on a number of acquisitions of technology companies in Europe.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Society for Computers & Law
- CBI Tech Council
- Journal of Digital Banking - Member of Editorial Board
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2000)
- College of Law at York (LPC) (1998)
- University of Leeds (Law Degree) (1997)