Seraphim Ma is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Taipei office, where she practices in labor and employment law, intellectual property, and dispute resolution. She is also a pioneer in the rapidly growing China practice, assisting clients who conduct business in the mainland.
Ms. Ma counsels on employment issues related to M&A, hiring and employment contracts (including non-competition and confidentiality), employee handbooks, codes of conduct, severance, pension, termination, harassment/discrimination, occupational safety and union negotiations.
Her extensive experience in intellectual property and dispute resolution covers disputes of patent, copyright and trade secrets, as well as civil, administrative and criminal lawsuits.
Representative Legal Matters
- Drafted the Taoyuan Airport City Special Act and counseled on Taiwan's labor laws, including the amendment of the Labor Standards Law.
- Advised the world's leading manufacturing, pharmaceutical, medical, hi-tech, restaurant chain store, international trading, financial, consulting, retail and Build-Operate-Transfer companies on labor disputes, including settlement negotiations, mediations, lawsuits, union negotiation and industry-specific exemptions from various legal limitations.
- Assisted leading hi-tech companies in lawsuits, injunctions and legal strategies for patent and copyright lawsuits in Taiwan and China.
- Ranked Band 1 Lawyer, Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2009-2016
- Named Leading Individual, Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2013-2016
- Received Asia Women in Business Law Award, Euromoney Legal Media Group 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Chamber of Commerce - Co-Chair, HR Committee
- European Chamber of Commerce - Former Co-Chair, HR Committee
- Taipei~Taiwan (1990)
- University of California at Berkeley (LL.M.) (1994)
- National Taiwan University (LL.B.) (1985)