Shih Yann has a longstanding career with Baker McKenzie. He joined the Firm's Hong Kong office in 1993 and during his 29 years with the Firm, he has played a key role in implementing the Firm's China strategy, including as part of the management team that led the establishment of Baker McKenzie FenXun (FTZ) Joint Operation Office in 2015. Through the Joint Operation Office, the Firm has been able to assist clients with their legal needs across China, including in the Greater Bay Area.
Shih Yann has also served on the committee that oversees Baker McKenzie's offices and member firms in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Korea and Vietnam.
In October 2020, Shih Yann was elected to be a member of Baker Mackenzie’s Global Executive Committee. In his new role, Shih Yann will work with the firm’s leadership in implementing and executing the firm’s global strategy on clients and markets.
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully defended the first antitrust action based on IP misuse brought into China.
- Won one of the top 10 PRC Supreme People's court case for 2006 in relation to patent litigation and enforcement and consecutively winning the best case awards at the 2005 to 2008 QBPC awards in China.
- Coordinated the industry group enforcement of golf, musical instruments and auto parts manufacturers in China.
- Coordinated and advised on simultaneous multiple jurisdiction enforcement in Hong Kong, China and Taiwan.
- Advised and executed numerous Anton Piller orders (search and seizure orders) in Hong Kong.
- Advised clients on a comprehensive review of IP security from transmission to production.
- Litigated successfully the first trade secret case in China.
- Advised a US client on its landmark patent/FRAND litigation against Huawei.
- Successfully advised and litigated in Hong Kong for a pharmaceutical client on the extension of patent rights post expiry using the “spring-board” doctrine of unjust enrichment.
- Leading Lawyer (Intellectual Property - International Firms, China/Hong Kong) – Chambers Greater China Region (2022)
- Leading Lawyer (Intellectual Property - International Firms, China/Hong Kong) – Chambers Asia Pacific (2011-2021)
- Leading Lawyer (Intellectual Property - International Firms, China/Hong Kong) – Chambers Global (2016-2021)
- Leading Individual (Hong Kong) – World Trademark Review 1000 (2013-2019, 2021)
- Litigation Star (Intellectual Property, Hong Kong) – Benchmark Litigation Asia Pacific (2020)
- Patent Star & Trade Mark Star (Patent/Trade Mark, Hong Kong) - Managing IP: IP Stars (2020, 2021)
- WIPR Leader - World IP Review (2016, 2020)
- IP Star (China/Hong Kong) – Managing IP (2014-2019)
- Corporate IP Lawyer of the Year (Hong Kong) – Corporate INTL Legal Awards (2013)
- IP: Trademarks Lawyer of the Year (Hong Kong) – International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Awards (2013)
- IP Lawyer of the Year (Hong Kong) – International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Awards (2012)
- Recommended Lawyer (Intellectual Property, China and Hong Kong) – PLC Which Lawyer? (2012)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Gray's Inn, London - Member
- Law Society of Hong Kong - Member
- Law Society of Singapore - Member
- English Bar Association - Member
- Hong Kong (2003)
- Singapore (1992)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1989)
- London School of Economics (LL.M.) (1990)
- Council of Legal Education (Barrister-at-Law) (1989)
- University of London (LL.B.) (1988)