Gemma is a Senior Associate in Baker McKenzie's London Intellectual Property practice.
Her practice encompasses a broad range of contentious and non-contentious aspects of IP, both online and offline, with a particular focus on Copyright (including online issues around intermediary liability, notice and takedown and enforcement), Music Licensing (online and offline), Brand Enforcement (specifically trade marks, passing off, design rights and copyright), and domain name and company name disputes.
Gemma qualified in 2014 and is based in the London office, while regularly undertaking in-house secondments with clients to develop a deeper understanding of her client's businesses.
She is involved in the firm's pro-bono work as well as its many initiatives, including BakerOpportunity, BakerWomen and BakerAllies.
In the online space, Gemma regularly advises leading platforms on issues surrounding intermediary liability, notice and takedown and music licensing.
Gemma also specializes in brand enforcement with a specific focus on trade marks, passing off, and copyright and design right infringement. Gemma runs several global enforcement programs.
Gemma has led complex litigation in the UK Copyright Tribunal and in arbitration, as well as in the High Court and Intellectual Property Enterprise Court (IPEC). Gemma also has extensive experience dealing with filing challenges in contentious disputes over domain names in front of ICAAN and Nominet, as well as leading in disputes over company names in the UK Company Names Tribunal.
In 2020, Gemma undertook a secondment with one of the largest and fastest growing global entertainment platforms to assist the EMEA legal team with matters relating to a significant music licensing arbitration, preparation for the implementation of a raft of new EU legislation, sponsorship deals, advertising, IP and general commercial contracts.
In 2018 Gemma went on secondment to one of the world's largest cosmetics companies where she advised on IP, commercial, advertising and procurement issues.
In 2013 and 2016 respectively, Gemma was seconded to the global and UK headquarters of one of the world's largest fast moving consumer goods companies where she advised on a wide range of IP, advertising and general commercial matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for TikTok in the UK Copyright Tribunal and subsequent arbitration in relation to a major copyright licensing dispute with ICE (PRS, GEMA, Stim) impacting music use by users on TikTok in over 100 countries (2020)
- Successfully acted for a global cosmetics company in the High Court in the enforcement of patent and design rights against an infringer.
- Successfully acted for the world's leading pump manufacturer in a trade mark infringement claim against an infringer in the IPEC, making a successful application for summary judgement in a dispute involving trade mark infringement, passing off and issues around exhaustion.
- Successfully filing numerous domain name complaints with the Nominet and ICAAN Dispute Resolution Services to obtain the transfer of infringing domain names.
- Successfully filing numerous complaints at the Company Names Tribunal against infringing company names.
- Advising a range of consumer goods and retail clients on matters of brand enforcement including running numerous global enforcement program.
- Advising number of new media, social and online platform clients in relation to content regulation, platform regulation, and associated digital media issues.
- Advising a number of new media and online platform clients in respect of various music licensing issues: licensing negotiations, rights mapping exercises and risk profiling.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Anti-Counterfeiting Group
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2014)
- Oxford University (Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice) (2016)
- College of Law (Legal Practice Course with commendation) (2012)
- BPP (Graduate Diploma in Law with commendation) (2011)
- Leeds University (English Literature upper second class BA (Hons)) (2009)