Dr. Markus Hecht
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern
Dr. Markus Hecht is a Counsel of the Firm’s German Intellectual Property Group. His practice covers the full range of intellectual property law with an emphasis on trademark, design, domain name and unfair competition law litigation. Markus also advises on transactional matters including employee inventions law and handles parallel import cases. Markus already specialized on Intellectual Property law during his studies at the University of Freiburg. Markus completed his doctoral thesis on IP-infringements in Social Media Company Profiles and obtained a doctor's degree in law, Dr. iur. (PhD), from the University of Wuerzburg. Managing IP ranked Markus as "Rising IP Star" for five consecutive years.
Markus' practice focus is on all aspects of trademark, design and unfair competition law - both litigation and advice - and also includes domain name disputes. Markus frequently handles complex IP litigation matters and represents clients in front of court. His practice also covers non-traditional trademark disputes, including three dimensional marks, as well as other more exotic areas of IP law such as plant variety law. Markus has in-depth knowledge in the field of IP infringements in social media company profiles, which he also covered in his doctoral thesis. He frequently publishes articles on various IP issues and lectures on IP matters. Markus' expertise also covers major transactional as well as employee invention law matters. He also assists in the management of global trademark portfolios.
- Frequently recommended individual in trademark law, JUVE Handbook of Commercial Law Firms 2022/2023
- Rising IP Star, Managing IP, 2018-2022
Professional Associations and Memberships
German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property & Copyright (GRUR) - Member
- Germany (2012)
- University of Würzburg (Dr. jur.) (2016)
- Regional Court Freiburg (Assessor Exam) (2012)
- University of Freiburg (Referendar Exam) (2010)
Publications and Presentations
- Author, Werbung durch "Leaks" - Rechtliche Bewertung von getarntem Marketing (Advertising by means of leaks - legal assessment of disguised marketing), WRP 2022, 1473-1478
- Author, IP-Adressen: Ein knappes und wertvolles Gut (IP addresses: A scarce and valuable asset), Baker McKenzie Kompass Blog, 2 February 2018
- Co-author (with Birgit Clark and Rembert Niebel), German Federal Court of Justice confirms trademark protection for Ritter Sport's square chocolate packaging, Managing Intellectual Property, 20 October 2017
- Author, "Der Schutz von Warenformen als Marke" (The protection of shapes of goods as a trademark), MarkenR 2017, 381-398
- Co-author (with Michael Fammler), Analyse: Gerichte zeigen sich zunehmend restriktiv - Wie Formen dennoch als 3D-Marken geschützt werden können (Analysis: Courts are increasingly restrictive - How shapes can still be protected as 3D trademarks), LZ - Lebensmittel Zeitung, 5/2017, 3 February 2017
- Co-author (with Birgit Clark), Happy ending for the fairy tale castle 'Neuschwanstein' trade mark? - Comment on the decision of the European General Court of Justice, Case T-167/15 of 5 July 2016, Journal of Intellectual Property Law & Practice (JIPLP), Oxford University Press, 22 October 2016
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Matthias Scholz, Dr. Thomas Schänzle, Dr. Christian Vocke
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH von Rechtsanwälten und Steuerberatern is registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main (registered seat) HRB 123975. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.