Tatiana Garces Carvajal is a lawyer and a specialist in labor law, graduated from Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, with post-graduate studies in commercial law from Universidad de los Andes.
She has over 30 years of experience advising major clients on matters related to individual and collective labor law. For three years, she worked as the director in charge of the HR Department, head of the Legal Division of the Betania Plant, and as a lawyer in the Legal Department of Alcalis de Colombia. Previously, she worked as head of the Personnel Department at AGA Ltda., and as a paralegal at a law firm.
In addition to her experience as professor, lecturer, author of several publications and arbitrator in labor collective disputes, she served as technical adviser to the employers’ delegate for Colombia at the 98th Session of the International Labor Organization in Geneva (2015). She also participated at the 93rd Conference (2009).
She joined the Baker McKenzie Bogota office in 1992 as an associate in the Labor Law Department, and was appointed partner in July 2000. She also serves as managing partner of the Baker McKenzie Bogota office and regional leader of the Employment and Compensation group in Latin America and the Employment and Compensation practice at the Bogota office.
As representative for LA, she is a member of the steering committee of the Global Employment and Compensation Group of Baker McKenzie, and in her capacity as managing partner of the Bogota office, she is a member of Baker McKenzie’s Global Policy Committee.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colombian Labor Law Bar Association
- Javeriana Law School Bar Association
- Founding Member of Women in Connection Colombia
- Member of ACRIP Legal Committee
- Member of ANDI Labor Relation Committee
- Member of the CEA (Council of American Enterprises) Board of Directors
- Member of Self-Assessment Committee for the High-Quality Accreditation of Undergraduate Studies of the Law School of Pontificia Universidad Javeriana
- Colombia (1988)
- Manuel Teodoro Media Trainers (Training Media Spokesperson Training) (2019)
- Bogotá Chamber of Commerce (International Program of Training for Lawyers on Companies and Human Rights) (2019)
- Seminarium Colombia (Seminar Planning and Execution of the Business Strategy) (2019)
- Universidad de Los Andes (Course Management and Leadership in Law Firms) (2014)
- International Labour Organization [Switzerland] (Course International Labor Standards for Magistrates, Jurists and Law Professors) (2012)
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Faculty of Law (Post Graduate Degree Labor Law) (1997)
- University de Los Andes (Post Graduate Degree Commercial Law) (1991)
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Faculty of Law (J.D.) (1988)
- (Program 19th Partner Leadership Program )
- Author of several articles on Colombian labor law, published in the journal “Legal Review Latin America.”
- Speaker, “Constitutional Court Rulings: Individual and Collective Law,” Universidad Sergio Arboleda.
- Professor of the course, "Labor Protection Institutions and Intermediation Systems," Labor Law Post-graduate Program at Universidad Sergio Arboleda, 2006 and 2007.
- Professor of the undergraduate law course, "Individual Labor Law II,” in the Labor Law Department of Pontificia Universidad Javeriana.
- Speaker at ACRIP conferences about relations with expatriates.
- Speaker, “Labor Migration in the Context of a Globalized Economy," 13th National Meeting of Labor Committees, ANDI, Medellin, October 2010.
- Speaker, "Outsourcing in Colombia," ACRIP, Bogota, November 2012.
- Speaker, “Labor Mobility in the Transfer of Foreign Employees to Colombia. Good Practices for the Transfer of Foreign Employees to Colombia,” América Empresarial, Bogota, May 2015.
- Participant, 19th Partner Leadership Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, June 2017.
- Speaker, "Labor Migration and Territoriality of Law" with Mr. Carlos E. Molina. Labor and Social Security Law and Company Congress. EAFIT School of Law and others, Medellin, April 2017.
- Speaker, "Does Your Outsourcing Scheme Comply with Existing Regulations?" ACRIP, Bogota, July 2017.
- Speaker, “Making Progress towards Equality with a Gender Approach” with Mrs. Veronica Pelaez. 3rd Meeting of Human Management; Universidad Konrad Lorenz, Bogota, August 2017
- Speaker, Legal Aspects of Outsourcing in Colombia, ACRP Labor Summit, Bogota, August 2018.
- Panelist on gender equality, Congress of Labor and Employment Lawyers, Cartagena, May 2018.
- Conference, “Compliance from Equality,” Women Economic Forum Latin-America, Cartagena, July 2019
- Panelist, Labor Sessions. Labor Summit, ACRIP, Bogota, August 2019.