Tatiana Garces Carvajal is a lawyer and a specialist in Labor Law, graduated from Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, with post-graduate studies in Commercial Law from Universidad de los Andes.
She has over 30 years of experience advising major clients on matters related to individual and collective Labor Law. For three years, she worked at Alcalis de Colombia, occupying the positions of Director in charge of the HR Department, head of the Legal Division of the Betania Plant, and as a Lawyer in the Legal Department. Previously, she worked as Head of the Personnel Department at AGA Ltda., and as a paralegal at the law firm Esguerra, Gamba, Barrera y Arriaga Asociados.
In addition to her experience as professor, lecturer, author of several publications and arbitrator in labor collective disputes, she served as technical adviser to the employers’ delegate for Colombia at the 98th Session of the International Labor Organization in Geneva (2015). She also participated at the 93rd Conference (2009). Currently, Tatiana is a member of the Javeriana University Law School Council representing graduates from Universidad Javeriana.
She joined Baker McKenzie Bogotá office in 1992 as an Associate in the Labor Law department and was appointed partner on July 1st, 2000. In 2017 she was appointed as Managing Partner for Baker McKenzie Bogotá office, which made her the first woman in Colombia to hold this position in a law firm. In addition to this position, she led the Employment and Compensation group in Latin America, until June of 2021.
In the exercise of these functions, Tatiana was part of the Steering Committee of the Global Employment and Compensation Group, as well as of the Global Policy Committee of Baker McKenzie. Currently, she is part of the Employment and Compensation Steering Committee for Latin America, leads the Bogotá Employment & Compensation practice and as a member at large is part of the Global Employment & Compensation Steering Committee of Baker McKenzie.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colombian Labor Law Bar Association
- Javeriana Law School Bar Association
- Founding Member of Women in Connection Colombia
- Member of ACRIP Legal Committee
- Member of ANDI Labor Relation Committee
- Colombia (1988)
- Manuel Teodoro Media Trainers (Training Media Spokesperson Training) (2019)
- Bogotá Chamber of Commerce (International Program of Training for Lawyers on Companies and Human Rights) (2019)
- Seminarium Colombia (Seminar Planning and Execution of the Business Strategy) (2019)
- Universidad de los Andes, Colombia (Course Management and Leadership in Law Firms) (2014)
- International Labour Organization [Switzerland] (Course International Labor Standards for Magistrates, Jurists and Law Professors) (2012)
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Faculty of Law (Post Graduate Degree Labor Law) (1997)
- University de Los Andes (Post Graduate Degree Commercial Law) (1990)
- Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Faculty of Law (J.D.) (1988)
- (Program 19th Partner Leadership Program )
- Author of several articles on Colombian labor law, published in the journal "Legal Review Latin America".
- Speaker at the seminar "Constitutional Court Rulings: Individual and Collective Law," at Universidad Sergio Arboleda.
- Professor of the course "Labor Protection Institutions and Intermediation Systems," labor law post-graduate program at Universidad Sergio Arboleda, 2006 and 2007.
- Professor of the undergraduate law course "Individual Labor Law II", in the Labor Law Department of Pontificia Universidad Javeriana
- Speaker at ACRIP conferences about relations with expatriates.
- Speaker at the conference: "Labor Migration in the context of a Globalized Economy." 13th National Meeting of Labor Committees, ANDI, Medellin, October 2010.