Josh is an associate in Baker McKenzie's IP and Technology team based in London. He joined the Firm in 2016 and was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2018.
Josh's practice encompasses a wide range of IP and technology related issues, with a particular focus on copyright and digital media. Josh regularly advises clients on cutting-edge intermediary liability, music and content licensing, product counsel, notice and takedown and artificial intelligence issues. Josh also advises on the IP aspects of M&A and broader commercial transactions, notably in the technology and copyright spheres; and has experience working on complex multijurisdictional copyright disputes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising several leading global technology companies on metaverse and "Web3" legal issues, including relating to platform liability, NFTs, DAOs and the broader impacts of crypto.
- Providing complex advice to a number of new media, social and online platform clients, relating to intermediary liability and cutting-edge product counsel issues.
- Advised on the sale of Sony Music Entertainment's stake in Syco to Simon Cowell.
- Advising a number of new media, social and online platform clients on compliance with the Digital Single Market Copyright Directive and the AVMS Directive.
- Advised Hitachi on the USD 11 billion acquisition of ABB's power grids business.
- Advising a number of new media, social and online platform clients in relation to content regulation, platform regulation, and associated digital media issues.
- Advising on litigation and various contentious matters for one of the world’s largest music service providers, together with connected central strategic advice and licensing strategies.
- Advising a number of augmented and virtual reality companies on a range of product counsel issues.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2016)
- BPP Law School (Legal Practice Course (accelerated) - Distinction) (2016)
- Kaplan, London (Graduate Diploma Law - Merit) (2014)
- Edinburgh University (Divinity MA - First Class Honours) (2013)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.